Thread: need help fast

need help fast

i was trying to remove my friend's laptop from a domain. the stupid windows 98 created a new identity as a user on a local comuter instead of the domain.... in a proccess he lost all his contacts from the outlook ... this is a bussiness laptop and it's crucial that he gets it back l...

anyone knows where the outlook stores the contacs and how can we get them back... the import and export feature cannot find the file

are they erased for good

As far as I know (and sadly) yes. However, I have a question. Wouldn't he still have his contact's on the other user? Or did he delete that user account? Because even though it's a different domain, the user account would still exist on the other one, he could just copy the contact's over, right? I'm not a Outlook Express wiz at all (I hate OE) so mind me if I don't seem to have the right answer's.
    Space For Rent.. =]

it's win 98 and i couldn't find the "user.domain" profile/document folder all that i see is "user" folder ... not even "user.localhost".... what the ****

Look in outlook's folder and see if u can find anything that resembles an address book. For future reference, backup your address book (Export it)

i don't use windows at all but this guy brought me this old IBM laptop full of spyware and other bullS. so i try to clean it out and make it auto log on. i took him off the old domain since he won't use it anymore and the freaking OS overwrote the damn address book

if it helps try using wab.exe It may be able to pull the addresses. But I'm not sure if the profile path that got erased is where they were stored.

You also might find them by browsing to the profile that was lost
    C:\windows\profiles\usernamethatwaslost\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Im pulling that path out of my head so their might be some minor diffrences

i don't use windows at all but this guy brought me this old IBM laptop full of spyware and other bullS. so i try to clean it out and make it auto log on. i took him off the old domain since he won't use it anymore and the freaking OS overwrote the damn address book
    Is it "Outlook Express" or "Outlook" we are talking here? "Outlook" will only ship with Office............."Outlook Express" ships with IE.

I am wondering if it actually overwrote the address book, as opposed to created a new one?

If you tell me that, I can look for it for you, as I have both on Win98SE & ME boxes.

Cheers

It's Outlook.... the full version not expres

and no, the wab.exe cannot see it either

Th Problem is that in windows 2000 when you create a user on a local host, same user on domain1, same user on domain2 ... these 3 will have their own pwersonal profiles and "documents and settings" folders

on 98 there seem to be only one user no matter

Yes, that is the case.

In Win2000 you will have many user profiles, each with their own permission levels, in Win98 you only have one user rights setting: Administrator ( but you can create separate user profiles, all with admin rights), however, as he had a separate domain, I wonder if his address book was local, or on the server?..........it might have been stored on his domain as a roaming profile?.......I guess he was connected to Win NT4 or 2000?

Also, as he was using Win98, if it had created a separate user profile, it is probably still there, with nothing pointing to it?

just a thought

EDIT: sorry, minor distraction................I forgot to ask, was he using M$ office on his local machine (the laptop) or connecting to an applications server?

the ms outlook as well as address book are all locally installed...

i didn't really create a new user i simply took off the user from the domain and made him log in locally... so now it's not ash.office01 but simply ash ... no other user or profile is present

we should be able to sue MS ... this is stupid