Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: win 98 , 2000 ??????

win 98 , 2000 ??????

hey dudes plz help me out,
    i at first had win 98, then i moved on to win 2000, i subsequently had many driver conflicts( sound card blues ,modem blues) but i still liked 2000 for its security feature . suddenly i had to access internet and so had to move back to win 98, but this time i installed win 98 intalled in d partion , now the problem which arises is that the computer direstly boots to 98 but i want a choice of 2000 ( this is on c drive) and 98 so is there any way i can do that
    thanx

i ve tried xosl but it won't detect any other os other than win 98, any more bright ideas?

If I rember correctly windows 98 won't see a NTFS partition you will have to reload windows 2000 and make the filesystem fat32

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

Originally posted here by yourdeadin
    now the problem which arises is that the computer direstly boots to 98 but i want a choice of 2000 ( this is on c drive) and 98 so is there any way i can do that
    thanx
    let me get this straight ...you had windows 98 ...you upgraded to Windows 2000...now you just put in windows 98 CD and installed windows 98 over it....

The Windows 98 had got hold of your Master Boot Record (MBR)....You will have to give it back to Windows 2000.....and it will create a duel Boot of windows 2000 and windows 98

If i were you i would do a partial Install...not even a install...the setup just copies files and you are done.

In order to create a Dual Boot......Just Boot your Computer with the Windows 98 Bootable Disk/Floopy........Put your windows 2000 CD in .......At the Prompt Browse to theI386 folder and type "Winnt" Press Enter........ this will start a the setup....and will start to copy filws necessary to run setup .........after it finishes copying files..........it will prompt to restart

When you restart you should see three Option to Boot from .....
    1. Windows 98
    2. Windows 2000
    3. Windows 2000 Install/Upgrade

The Third option{Windows 2000 Install/Upgrade} will be selected By default at this moment and it just waits for i think 3 seconds so be fast and select some other option by pressing the up and down arrow keys.........Don't let the Setup Run Any Further it's no use.

You can change the Default Boot Item which is now Windows 2000 Install/Upgrade and the Time............by Booting into the windows 2000 and changing the Startup settings ..............and you can also remove the "Windows 2000 Install/Upgrade" Option by Editing your Boot.ini ..............If you need furthere regarding this just ask

--Good Luck--

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Silly questions I'm sure......

1. Did you look on the HCL to see if the hardware was on it before upgrading like M$ recommends?
    2. Did you download any Windows 2000 specific drivers to a cd or floppy before you upgraded, especially your NIC drivers?
    3. Did you organize a backup way to get the drivers/updates you might need should it not work right in the first place?

I get the distinct feeling that you didn't. You just kinda went ahead and upgraded expecting everything to go fine and when it didn't you compounded your problem by trying to revert back to an inferior operating system.

I would suggest that you consider the three questions above and, depending upon the answers, do a reformat and reinstall of the appropriate OS for your hardware.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

thanx to swordfish13,
    you were of great help now i can have the option of a dual boot.
    but every time i move up with win 98 it says that it has replace my original config files to msdos7 directory, is this somme thing to worry about?? any how the dual boot works just as fine,thanx a lot!

as for of tiger shark peolpe here do not use original versions of any thing anythin even if it is free, piracy is at large here.so lisning to M$ is the last thing they wil do here , belive it or not ive seen a LONGHORN os in a amd k6 computer with 128 mb ram , so as far a lisinng to microsoft has nothing to do as even if we do lisen to M$ and our data is lost nothin you me or the microsoft guy can do any thing to retrive the data. :\)

as per the hard ware a driver back up i don no some thing is wrong with the computer , ya , i removed the cmos battery just to keep the computer preventing to keep a track of time which will over come the data snags put on by many software's whose pirated versions are not available

as per the hard ware a driver back up i don no some thing is wrong with the computer , ya , i removed the cmos battery just to keep the computer preventing to keep a track of time which will over come the data snags put on by many software's whose pirated versions are not available
    Ahhhh..... I see your problem..... Box up the computer and send it back to the manufacturer asking for your money back on the grounds that you are too ****ing stupid to own one!!!!!!!
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

as for of tiger shark peolpe here do not use original versions of any thing anythin even if it is free, piracy is at large here.so lisning to M$ is the last thing they wil do here , belive it or not ive seen a LONGHORN os in a amd k6 computer with 128 mb ram , so as far a lisinng to microsoft has nothing to do as even if we do lisen to M$ and our data is lost nothin you me or the microsoft guy can do any thing to retrive the data. :\)

Ok a Live one ..........Reel him in .......Reel him in..............

Wow didn't knew it was that bad.........I don't know you will understand or not......but a lot of effort and money goes into building those things....it just takes a few minutes to rip them off.....if everybody starts doing it we wouldn't be having any more those softwares.....think about it....

Not to mention all those ..spywares / malwares that comes bundeled with these Pirated/Ripped Softwares .....but from looking at your post i don't think you care........

--Good Luck---

guys guys belive me when i say this 99% of the software used in this part of the country is pirated belive me 99% , you negged becoz iam telling the truth ,doesn't matter even i were to buy a original cd of microsoft there would be no place where i can get it ,
    and let me also tell you a secret , you want to know whay M$ does not care about piracy market in the indian sub continent as this is the way M$c keeps its dominance over the market , coz if piracy ws to stop in the cintinent then people would move to free operating systems like FREE BSD ,LINUX,UNIX etc . M4 does not want to take a chance with these OS coz once ppl are used to the free operating system they will not come back to M$ and M$ does not want that to happen , i can bet a 1000 bucks for you to find any person in the AO community who is from the indian subcontinent and is using a original M$ product , you will find no one , belive me no one ,this is a law less area and you cannot blame me , the truth is out there, thisis the truth , this is the way out life here , its notthat i use a pirated M$ product intentionaly , its just that iam forced to ,
    don't take my word for it ask any one who is from theindian subcontinent like cgkanchi ,theregenade and many more thisis the truth even if we want to get a original version of a product we cannot just have 'em , yes this does not give us a reason to pirate a software and we do understand the effort undertaken bythe softwae devolopers but some times you gotta admit life'z not always fair

as per the negging goes plzplz take it back as iam desperatly tryig to make it into AO as i love it ,myranking just dropes and dropes , while i am working dayand night writing tutorial and other post and spending only one housr at a cyber cafe to post them ,plz take them back you don't know through what all troubles i ve to go through to get to a cyber cafe , its 20 miles from my house , so i am telling you that iam sorry for telling the truth to you but from next time i;ll start lying

You might have helped yourself if you had put "India" for your location rather than "The Kremlin".......