Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chirac: Israeli prime minister not welcome in Paris

France was historically helpful to Israel, selling them nuclear reactors, for example (not necessarily to make plutonium, but can be modified)

Slarty

Jinxy
    Actualy super Etandards carried the exocet. There was also land launched exocet. Skyhawks dropped bombs not launch missiles.
    You are right on that. My point was that the argintine airforce was mainly made up of non french aircraft.

Tedob1 That is the best bit of onesided reporting I have seen in a long time. Republician propaganda when it comes to the french is getting ridicalous. It is starting to look like the book 1984. You know the parts where its explained that you control the information people read you control the people. Also when you are translating from one lanuage to another you should be carefull of the translation. I highly doubt that Chirac said exactly what was translatd in the "report" and definatly not in English.
    IMHO Sharon was basicaly playing up to American francophobia to take attention away from the importance of the UN vote.

Hypronix Actually France is biased in favor of jews rather than against them.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Palestinian terror? Who invaded who?
    Palestine tried to wipe Isreal off the map, they lost. Egypt tried it too, they also lost. In both cases the invading forces were pushed back past the isreal border where they stayed. Of course you can argue isreal should never be there in the first place but at the same time Palestine and Egypt could have kept the peace by adapting UN resolution or the desires of Allied forces, since they were on the wrong side or the losing side of WW2. The reason Palestine or Egypt would not hold to those borders is, can you guess? They are non-muslims. Oh also, I think Jews were there long before Christians and Muslims. In fact historically there is many many references to that fact. Heck the muslims even came after Christ. So I think Isreal probably deserves to be there, especially since WW2 happened and the region was in chaos as old Monarchies attempted to re-establish power base. I think the Palestines deserves some space, they got it and enacted war to get more and when Isreal didn't withdraw back into their own terrotory after the Palestine initiated war, the palestines enacted terrrorism to kill the "invaders" and remove them.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

This is still slightly off topic, but coming back to the point about exocets, why do you think so many people in the UK are still so pissed off about this?

France is allegedly allied with the UK, but during the Falklands conflict it was trying to sell extra exocet missiles to Argentia, with the express purpose of sinking ships and killing large numbers of British forces.
    Only stopped because of certain operations by the UK intelligence services.

How would you feel if we started arming anyone France has a conflict with, like some of the ex-French colonies on Africa.
    Hmmm, maybe that is a good idea ....

Regal Making Handler
    Darkes

This is still slightly off topic, but coming back to the point about exocets, why do you think so many people in the UK are still so pissed off about this?
    I'm not so sure that that is true, i think most people don't even think about it these days. Yes the English love to hate the French, but that is because of the percieved cultural and Historical differences between are countries. Ie, the froggies eat snails, never wash and make there bread in such a rude shape We on the other hand are a nation of shop keepers who eat crap and left them in the **** at Dunkirk.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by slarty
    France was historically helpful to Israel, selling them nuclear reactors, for example (not necessarily to make plutonium, but can be modified)

Slarty
    yes but they also sold one to iraq which israel later bombed
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

MURACU the NewRepublic isn't anymore republican than the NewAmerican (John Birch Socity) is American. it's very very far to the right of republican thinking.

from an article on their home page:

Power from the People
    by Jonathan Chait
    Bush isn't an aspiring dictator, and he's not planning to rig the election. But, with his love of secrecy, his penchant for misinformation, and his use of the machinery of government for partisan ends, he has made America less democratic.

i posted it to stimulate conversation i didn't write it but i do believe the statement was true about the bombing. maybe not meant to be taken as it was spoken but showing the truth none the less like many racist remarks. but yes it is extreamly one sided, its the reactionary party line.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Tedob1
    The qoute about Raymond Barre is fairly acurate even if it was taken out of context at the time by his political opponents. It also signed his political death warrent. The French have always reacted strongly against racaisim be it against jews or musilalims. Except maybe against the English who as Jinxy said they love to hate.
    I am sure that when you take the so called quote by Chirac in context and in french It would not come out the same. It is funny that i dont remember hearing about it as normally something like that would be headline news.

Another little point most peole tend to ignore as Roadclosed said if Isreal has occupied Palistien it is because of the the attempted invasions by the surrounding Arab countries. also Isreal only occupied half of palistien the rest is occupied by Jordan and Egypt. I havent seen any talk of them handing back the land they occupied to the new palistienian state.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

It is funny that i dont remember hearing about it as normally something like that would be headline news.
    People worry about the government. I keep my eye on the media, they are extremely biased and unreliable. If a story contradicts their political views it gets buried. People will argue with me but it's more and more on the left of the hand than the right. For instance other's have voiced opions in another thread about a man who was Clinton's national security advisor getting caught and admitting to stealing highly sensitive documents from entrusted archives. It made page 7 in one national newspaper and was further along in others. Very curious but not surprising. I could go on and on, but it's pointless other than perhaps convincing others to be careful.

An entire generation and washed population does not understand or achnowledge the history of why Isreal is even in Palestine - or the fact that you mentioned other countries were involved. Perhaps even that is politically motivated and those who voice opposing opinion against isreal, really don't even care about the area, they may be swinging on the side they like and if the side they like hates isreal then they too, in default hate Isreal. Perhaps it only because a Jew owns the local diamond shop, who knows. I have tried to make sense of it. I come up empty it seems.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Like I said -- 1984 He who controls the present controls the past and he who controls the past controls the future.
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)