Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hawking was wrong... maybe :)

What about pink holes and brown ones ?

Tongue and cheek:

Pink holes are very interesting, nothing escapes their draw - NOTHING! Brown holes are not based in my perception of physics in nature. They are an alternate universe. Does a contained universe equal and alternate dimension?

you'll still be pulverised, but the basic composition of your sub atomic particles is preserved.
    If that is the case we could all "beam" our correspondent binary representation through?

It would be nice if a singularity would park itself withing 20 or 30 years of us but they aren't born as easy as stars, based on my understanding and subscribed thoughts. I know they are perhaps the death of a large star or "other" unkown object but they have to be HUGE to form a black hole and are there any more of these objects left in perceptible space? Not likely. What would be interesting is a black hole in another universe or galaxie suddenly opening an exit drain about a 1/4 of the way to Alpha Centauri.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Off topic: I remeber reading a UK based paper called the SUN or something, it was about hawking claiming that his wife dragged him out of his chair and left him in a garden exposed to a certain main sequence star that streams out packets of photons. Did anyone read about this not long ago? The topic came up at dinner in a restaurant which turned out to be embarrassing, thanks to two friends imitating in a robotic voice what choice words hawking said to his wife after he was back in his chair! The group of girls in the booth next to us had no clue as we about died in laughter.

I found this link but not the specific story I am talking about. http://www.safe4all.org/forums/messa...ssage_id=20900

!mitation

it be this that you are on about (daily Mirror not the Sun, although the Sun would probably have carried the story as well - both are trash newspapers)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...l&siteid=50143

and also covered here (note the first is a report of an earlier event, the second of the two is in reference to the Daily Mirror report)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/3414473.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/c...re/3579811.stm
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Hahah, when you say trash papers I assume you mean something like our "The National Enquirer" that can be bought at the check_out_line in almost any food store & gas station here?

They report on important stuff like "Britney spears has michael jacksons baby " "Saddam found in france" "gay aliens found in Iraq"ect......(those were actual headlines)

Hmm, not quite .....

I've read a few copies of the The National Enquirer, and get my US friends to bring some over when they come to visit. A great read, if I may say so

The Sun & the Daily Mirror do make some sort of attempt to cover the news.

For the really trashy end of the UK newspaper market try something like this: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/
    It's extremely difficult to find any real news in this, but can make for amusing reading on a Sunday if you are feeling bored.

er0k
    This is a very touchy subject. Particulary since atm black holes are just an idea.. or rather a theory.

Hawking wouldn't have overlooked the subatomic laws, as well as the laws of conservation of mass and energy - matter / energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Black holes, must at least bend the laws because of the fact of the singularity. (a point of infinite mass and energy)

Well, the hubble telescope seems to have found pretty good confirmation that black holes do exist, as reported a couple of years ago here: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/new...eases/2002/18/.

Hawking did "overlook", or more accurately conflict with subatomic laws in the sense that his views on how black holes work (proposed about 20 years ago) do contradict quantum physics.

However, he has now changed his mind when he stated last week that
    "If you jump into a black hole, your mass energy will be returned to our Universe, but in a mangled form, which contains information about what you were like, but in an unrecognisable state." - which conforms with what quantum theory would say.

Previously he was saying that matter could be destroyed/fundamentally altered, which is what lead to the idea of alternative universes, as once it fell behind the event horizon, it was lost forever.
    What he is saying now is that all black holes "open up" at some time in the future, and emit the original information in some form.

This is also in agreement with "string theory" – where the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings (rather than minuscule particles) which would also allow the information to escape from a black hole in the future.

Nothing yet on "naked singularities", which is another odd thing which comes out of Einstiens theories on relativity.

I'm looking forward to seeing the details of what maths he has used to do this, as I studied this as part of my maths degree at Oxford.

Within Hawkings own circle there were contradicting theories. I attended an invitation to his university where his own students showed me a computer simulation of a black hole and they showed the particles streaming out in our own space, although in the future. I didn't even begin to understand the underlying contruction but the visual component was fascinating.

His statement somewhat elates me. It gets back into making things work in our "own" universe. Possibly it was some bright student who made him see a light at the end of the event horizon?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.