Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Information

Computer Information

Hi,

I need to write a script to extract the Computer Name, Ip Address and Mac Address from the OS and present the info on a window for reference... ANy ideas?

BANNED
    Yeah go to run. Type cmd. Type ipconfig /all.
    Or are you trying to do it remotely?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Kind of a broad, general kind of question, don't you think? Can you be a bit more specific?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

If your planning to run it on a Windows platform then i'd recommend VB (visual basic) . Just create a WinSock component and get the information you need from that and display it with labels on a simple form.

Hope this helped
    Good Luck
    -

systeminfo command from xp gives all that info except for the mac addy
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Hi,

I need to write a script to extract the Computer Name, Ip Address and Mac Address from the OS and present the info on a window for reference... ANy ideas?
    you have not given info about the os or the scripting lan but the following would work on windows if you can use os commands:
    ipconfig/all>c:\info.txt&c:\info.txt

Yeah, you have provided too little information. Also (aside from what has been said) go to start&gt;run and type winipcfg. That might help a little, but you need to be more specific on what you're trying to accomplish or what you need help with.
    Space For Rent.. =]

i think you should start out by specifying the question better and maby you should start by using RUN and then cmd and if u know what you are doing half way i think it should work form there

Originally posted here by Darksnake
    systeminfo command from xp gives all that info except for the mac addy
    Actually this only works in Windows xp Pro not the home version

Hi all,

Many thanks for all your replies.
    Sorry for not being specific.

I need to write up a script to show the required computer information for computer users in my company.
    I am running an internal IT helpdesk and to troubleshoot problems, and so i need the information from users.
    It does not look good when we keep asking users to do ipconfig/all and things like that....

The OS used is WIN XP.

For scripting wise, any recommendations on how to go about it?
    Thanks again/