Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB memory key help

Question USB memory key help

hey, i have a problem with my usb memory key, I just reformatted my computer(win2000 pro), and i inserted a usb memory key and nothin comes up....usually as you all know once i plug the usb key in there...it says new hardware found...but this time...nothing...ive tried restarting the comp, searching for new devices (came up but didnt find a driver), and entering the set up when you boot ( to see that usb are on...), but still nothin, all i know is that windows 2000 does not need a driver for usb memory keys because it aready supports it... and before i reformatted the comp it was all working....does anyone know what i can do about this problem? any suggestions? thanks

-s3nate

BANNED
    What kind of key is it? Company name and model #. If you give most the info like that in your first post it'll help people help you.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

I have 2 IBM ones and one called iomenga, mini 128mb, and before I reformatted this all i had to do was stick them right into the usb port, thats basically it.....so yea im really confused here. um...it says like unknown device...with the yellow question mark in the hardware manager thing....so yea if ANYONE seriously lol anyone who can just help....or atleast say something lol cause this post got....13 view? and only one reply....so prolly you guys are stumped too i dont know lol imma noob. anyways thanks to anyone who replys to this question(thread).
    -s3nate

Old Fart
    sounds like a missing driver to me....is your root hub properly installed. or did the key have any installation software per chance???
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

BANNED
    For the Iomega go to this page and follow the directions to get the drivers and install them. I understand You didn't have to the first time but just try it this time. For the IBM ones I need a little more info about them.
    http://www.iomega.com/software/

thank you muerto, but i currently have windows 2000 as i said....and...they dont have the driver for windows 2000...cause in the directions that it came with all it say windows 2000 and XP support usb memory keys....and i dont know about the IBM ones lol....their....black..... and their kinda big....and Allen.....if i didnt install the root usb hub thing..how i do i reinstall?

Hi Senate,

Go into control panel and device manager. Right down the bottom there should be an entry for USB controllers. Expand this and you should have an open host controller and a root hub. You may have more than one depending on the number of USB ports you have.

Also, you might try attaching another USB device like a joystick, mouse, keyboard, camera and see if that gets recognised.

I have even seen a setting in the BIOS to enable USB, so you might like to check that.

You might have to re-install the USB controller/hub, I don't have a Win2K machine close at the moment, so let us know how you get on.

Good luck

BANNED
    Go to the page I listed. Is your mini iomega a 1.1 or 2.0? Whichever one it is select mini 128mb usb 1.1/2.0 drive. From the second list select Windows 2000. Then select your language which I am gonna guess is english.
    Like I said I understand you didn't have to the first time but since it's not working try it this time. Kinda agravates me that you didn't even scroll through the list but ohwell.
    For the IBM ones look on them for a sticker. If there is one list the numbers on it.

Old Fart
    One more thought....you might want to take a look at the properties of your root hub and make sure it isn't powering down after x amount of time. If it's in energy conservation mode then it basically isn't going to function. In theory a reboot should reactivate the hub, but I have seen instances where telling the hub to never power down was the only option that got the hub to power up...ain't windows grand??
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

um...muert0....as i said i tried downloading the driver and i did select windows 2000 on the menu, but after it was downloaded it ways saying something like windows98....i dont know....because even when i selected windows 2000 on the menu....it brought me to the driver for win98, so yea i dunno......

nihil...eh...I aready tried BIOS, i enabled it....and still doesnt work...but i havent check if any other usb things get recongnized.....im gonna do that....as soon as i find one.......haha...anyways thankz for the help