Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sites That Put Together Custom Computer

Best Sites That Put Together Custom Computer

I know some companies will put one together for you, you just pick what you want in them. I would just buy any computer but i want to get one that has a 500 w power supply so I can put a Radeon X800 in it. If there is already a link to a really good computer with something like this already in it that would be cool.

I want a
    3.4ghz hyperthreading water cooling
    2ghz RAM
    256mb/bit Radeon x800
    160gb HD
    Any ok sound card

Dont want a monitor so if anyone knows a link to a site thats selling a similar type computer it would be just as good as creating my own. Thanks

alienware... falcon northwest... cyberpowersystems

Alienware.com may do custom but most stock comps of there come with better qualities thatn you listed and you can also try tigerdirect.com should do custom building to if i am remembering right those are the only two good ones that i no of.

My company does custom building to. We just started up and don't have a site up yet, but heres what we can do.

2 Western Digital raptor 10k rpm Drives @ 74.6 GB each in Raid 0 + 1
    AMD Athlon 64 3400 64 bit processor
    Gigabyte GA-K8NS pro Nforce 3 1600mhz FSB
    ATI Radeon X800 XT
    Enermax noisetaker 600 Watt PS
    2GB PC3200 Corsair XMS with Heat spreader
    XP Pro OS
    52x32x52 Cd-RW / DVD-ROM

Total would be $3200

For that P4 3.4 800mhz FSB and Hyper threading, that woudl include a Gigabyte 8KNXP board it would be anohter $300, however I recommend the AMD 64 bit system.

If your looking for other companies, I woud recommend, ibuypower.com, or falcon systems.
    =

Wholesale prices -- build yourself

Putting together a computer is pretty easy. I don't see why you don't do it yourself? Especially when it will cost a lot less.

Well, I must say that you are buying stuff that has some huge price premiums. A rough estimate on cost puts this at under $2,000 for quality parts (RAM, Good PSU) you didn't specifically mention...and that's not including assembly. My suggestion is to build it yourself instead of paying Alienware $3,500 for a somewhat inferior setup.
    a
    1) PowerSupply:
    * You can't go wrong with a custom-built PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe. Begins around $210. Nothing compares with this powersupply, not even "600 watt" power supplies.
    * If you want to spend a bit less, and your motherboard supports takes EPS power connections (instead of ATX), the Forton Source 550 isn't a bad choice. For ~ $90 it is a great value.
    * If your motherboard isn't EPS12V, but ATX12, then the Antec True 550 is a good choice. ~$110, not too bad.

2) HDD: 160GB is ~$100.
    * Checkout HDD's by Seagate. They recently decided they trusted their drives enough to have put a 5 year warrenty across all of their products. I think they are the FIRST company to warrenty consumer drives for 5 years. Warrenty counts. A lot.
    * I use Maxtor, Western Digital, and Samsung HDDs. I don't have anything bad to say about them. But some people have bad luck with them. Again, warrenty counts.

3) Video Card - ~$470

4) RAM
    * You can go for ultra low latencies like CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory that is ~$170 for 512MB. Get 4. Run it Dual Channel. Low Latency can increase throughput/memory bandwidth. Might help in games, and the Pentium 4 processors that love memory speed/bandwidth to death.
    * You can go cheaper for more conservative memory. Like Kingston, or different versions of memory from CORSAIR. CORSAIR is supposed to have the best lifetime warrenty though. You might find memory costing $100 to $150 in this range for 512MB. Get 4. Run it Dual Channel.

5) CPU - P4 3.4GHz Prescott ~$420
    * You could consider Athlon64. Athlon64 based computers are pretty awesome in game benchmark comparisons. Although you won't see too much of a difference unless you play Far Cry. Plus you're ready for the 64bit version of Windows. ~ $310 for a 3400+. ~$500 for a 3700+. Unfortunately, the upgrade path of the 754 socket seems to die quickly. But then again, so does Intel's upgrade path.
    * Opertrons are a possible consideration. I don't know if the 1xx series will offer a dual core drop in replacement, which might mean that in the future you might be able to buy a new processor that is acturally TWO. BUT, I don't remember if the 1xx series will have this upgrade path open to them. :S

6) Sound Card -- Many motherboards have integrated sound. If you don't care too much about sound, no need to worry. The sound doesn't suck, but there is supposed to be better. Unless you have a lot of money invested in audio equipment or are an audiophile, it won't make a difference to you.

7) Operating System
    * Windows XP Pro, Retail is $240. Less hastle with MS if you upgrade and have to reactivate. (supposedly)
    * XP Pro, OEM is $140. Supposed to be more hastle with MS if you upgrade stuff and have to reactivate, because you are OEM, or cheaper.
    * (Linux Distro Here) Free. But probably won't play your latest DX9 games that great.

Sorry cheyenne1212, I didn't see you snuck the post in above me...

Maybe he does want a computer assembled... But if he wants to assemble himself, then he can have the satisfaction of doing so...

Well im not sure about any websites other than tiger direct. But you could check in your area for a PCclub. They do custom builds as well as sell parts to build one yourself (which is quite easy).

I agree completely with you tim, that if it was me, I'd rather build my own, rather than pay someone else to. I just thought I'd throw in what I can build one for.

When you start getting into high preformance system like that, theres a lot of markup.

For that sytem above that I quoted you, (not sure why I'm telling you this but you would of figured it out eventually,), would cost you only about $2000, Thus at least a $800 instant markup.

A lot cheaper if you build your own, but if you don't want to, I'm always there for ya
    =

Can somebody help me find which products are best for gaming to get that are compatible so i can put together my computer? Thanks

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Demonite:- www.demonite.com
    Voodoo :- www.voodoopc.com
    Alienware :- www.alienware.co.uk
    SavRow :- www.savrow.com

The above do 'pick and mix' PC's.

Be warned: they are NOT cheap.
    Personally, I would go with the DIY route, as there is a LOT of satisfaction to be gained from the 'I did that' feeling.

[edit]for gaming compatability, the above will give advice on specification, for your own curiosity, subscribe to a DECENT PC mag.
    In the UK CustomPC has been out for a year now, I find it to be a VERY good source of info for all things PC, and that includes 'overclocking'.[/edit]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone