Thread: Dell restore CD's

Dell restore CD's

I had to reinstall a DVD program on this Gateway system. I couldn't find my the copy of PowerDVD that came with the system...

I did have a copy of the Dell restoration CD that I got for a new Dell at work though.

When I popped in the CD, it would come up and tell me that the CD could only be used on a Dell.

I poked around a bit and found a "hidden file" called custom.ini on the CD.

I copied the CD to my HD.

Then make one small change in the custom.ini and it works right away.

I don't have the CD on me at the moment... but I believe it was something like.

Vender=Dell

I changed it to

Vender=Gateway

Why would they make it so easy to circumvent?

I'll check the exact line I changed tomorrow when I get in... I just wanted to post this before I forgot.

EDIT: I just checked it. I was wrong... it wasn't "setup.ini", it was "custom.ini".

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257825

You know, for a troll you're pretty limited on the imagination and rather repetitive.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I knew i saw this somewhere, this is the most lamest attempt to get AP's !

...wtf? Can someone really be that annoying/stupid/ignorant/loser/nolife/*******/retarded/****tardish/trollish/moronic ?

Regal Making Handler
    had to reinstall a DVD program on this Gateway system. I couldn't find my the copy of PowerDVD that came with the system...

I did have a copy of the Dell restoration CD that I got for a new Dell at work though.

When I popped in the CD, it would come up and tell me that the CD could only be used on a Dell.

I poked around a bit and found a "hidden file" called custom.ini on the CD.
    I copied the CD to my HD.

Then make one small change in the custom.ini and it works right away.

I don't have the CD on me at the moment... but I believe it was something like.

Vender=Dell

I changed it to

Vender=Gateway

Why would they make it so easy to circumvent?

I'll check the exact line I changed tomorrow when I get in... I just wanted to post this before I forgot.

EDIT: I just checked it. I was wrong... it wasn't "setup.ini", it was "custom.ini".
    We can make a slight change to your post and it will become hidden also.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry