Thread: Red Hat 8.0 problem

Red Hat 8.0 problem

Hey all--

I just got a hold of some VMware for my laptop, this software makes you able to run an OS within an OS. Right now I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my VMware workstation. The installation went great and everything, however, I am kinda comfused.

See when I last ran Red Hat 8.0 on my other computer I was able to have a GUI and an interactive desktop when I started up with Red Hat. Now I just get a command prompt asking me to log in...

I don't know hardly any linux commands as I started this out again so I could learn.

I would just really like to know how to get a GUI up and running on this machine, otherwise, I have no clue on how to get access to files, go to the internet, and to normal user stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

try startx if it fails try XFree86 -configure , then copy the config over to where it should be and try startx again.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

init 5 usually helps too

w00t, Gore you owned that problem. Now the only thing standing in my way is getting this thing to recognise that it is hooked up to the internet hehe...

Anyone who can point me in the right direction on that one, thanks. I simply can't get it to access the internet, shouldn't be to hard...

------------- edit... mission accomplished

btw though I was wondering. If I want to install an application, do I need Perl for this OS? Cause when I was checking a few things out I found that the installation instructions were writtem that way (which is sooo cool), but anyway I was just wondering because when I go to install something and click run.... nothing happens....

So I am thinking it may be because there's no Perl... but perhaps I am wrong and you guys have a better answer?

Any suggestions?
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

THE RADICAL, I don't know what apps you installed, if you installed everything, then you should allready have perl installed, but open up a terminal window and type: "whereis perl" without the quotes. Also you might want to run this command: "updatedb"(you will have to be root to run this). This might take awhile, but you can then use the command "locate perl". These commands will show whether perl is installed and where it is located.
    I have never had any luck using the "run" command to install apps. I always use the command line. It will also show any errors during the installation or any dependencies you might have.