Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT at it again

BT at it again

When I signed up for adsl with BT (british telecom) in June the first thing i asked before placing the order was "Do you have a weekly/monthly/yearly bandwith limit on your accounts?"

which i was told no they didn't and had no plans to introduce one - well guess what just got a letter through the post this morning and i quote

To enable us to offer our best possible price to customers, we have introduced a usage allowance, letting you transfer up to 30Gb of data per month.

ok so some people will be saying - "Well if you dont like it change providors"

Thats just it I can't!!!!

• Dont have cable in my area so have to have adsl
    • Other adsl companies require you have a BT telephone line anyways so I'd still have to pay them for the line
    • I'm tied into a 12 month contract for my adsl

so i can't get away from them - even if there was another provider in my area i couldn't leave BT as am tied in with my contract. But what I want to know is how can it be deemed fair that they can hold me into a 12 month contract even though they have changed one of the most important reasons why i choose them as a provider.......surely something like this shouod make my contract with them null & void

ok so they may have a clause saying that the terms and conditions of service may change without notice in the future when i first signed up but then whats to stop someone offering 1meg adsl for £10.00 a month with a 3yr contract

wait until thousands sign up and then change the terms to say - 'oh but you have a 1meg transfer limit per month'

ok extrmeme but thats basically what they are doing - they changing one of the most fundemental things about the access and why i went for it. In my eyes its no longer about who gives the fastest access - there are alot of companies now offering 1meg or higher adsl......so i went for the one without a transfer limit - even tho it was more exspensive!!! only to find now that i have been paying extra each month for nothing and have nothing i can do about it!!!

BT SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i advise anyone else who is thinking about getting broadband to stay well clear they'll just **** you over first chance they get!

v_Ln

Regal Making Handler
    I thought bt brought the cap in ages ago. One reason i went to Tiscali,

From what i remember of what i read, awhile back. They would only inforce the cap for persistant offenders.

But you are quit correct BT do Sux.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

nah - it comes into force at start of 2005 which sux

I go through like 15Gb a week just downloading (with another 5 up) so am gonna be well over limit

v_Ln

Regal Making Handler
    Well you got about 6 months to find another isp then. lol

I see from the adverts that Aol are offering unrestricted braodband at the moment.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

v_Ln, you could get a lawyer and take them to court and get out of your contract. But that would probably cost you 10x what you will be paying now anyway.

Even if they decided it wasn't worth going to court, and settled out of court, the cost to you would be significant and probably not worth it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I see from the adverts that Aol are offering unrestricted braodband at the moment.
    yep - and that'll change as soon as the service gets popular jinxy

v_Ln to be honest, pretty much all ADSL ISPs have to use BT at some point - one of the bad things about monopolies... and yeah it sucks badly - fancy helping me start a revolution??
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

as much as i hate having my bandwith capped - i hate AOL more

if i ever decide to go with AOL I give you permission to come round and shoot me!

v_Ln

will do with the utmost pleasure v_Ln - you go to AOL you deserve everything you get
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Yeah, I have BT ADSL,

I have 1gig per day I think.................way more than I ever use................I thought that they should take a balanced view, and offset................guess they are just greedy.

I am afraid that there are still people in BT with that "state owned monopoly" mentality

albn
    Jeez, that makes us warez puppies not be able to do anything. I would not know what to do if I was not able to download 13 gigs of pr0n a month