Thread: Everything to IP?

Everything to IP?

so i went to the telephone exchance for my work experience it was interesting seeing the system x all the switches all their servers. stm-1 was probably my favourite.

so my dad works in BT and is leaving to join a new company calling Infiniroute, well this company wants everything to go to IP, VoIP. so what they want to do really is you pick up your telephone and instead of dialing a telephone number you dial an IP instead. also another idea is that you pick up your phone and your connected to the internet. This can be possible over fibre optic lines, but i dont think it would be over copper wires. Fibre optics as im sure most of you know has no limitations and it is infinite. as long as you have the technology capabilities on the other end of the fibre optic line you can do anything you want with it. THe only problem is, is that it would be a massive move converting everything to IP, but you would never have to change pone number it would all be electronic instead of the wires in the telephone exchange which will save a lot of room and work. then again there will need to be massive servers and i expect they will be running them either off oc-112's oc-48 or stm-1's. which are all into gb/s.

I dont know what security they will impose, but work has already started int he US, and my dad will be working on the European division. Im guessing they will have some big ass firewalls, because if people get in it could be extremely hazardous. Phone Phreaking might stop seeing as there mgiht not even be a dial tone anymore. Then again we always find a way around it dont we

What are your takings on this idea?

Banned
    VoIP is a relatively old technology... there's nothing ground-breaking about yet another company offering it

Here in Dallas, CBeyond has been offering it for quite some time to small businesses. Backed up by Cisco and millions of dollars in capital, they're doing good business

yes, but im talking about home users picking up their phone and dialing an ip to talk to other people.
    \\knowledge is power
    \\security breach is inevitable

Banned
    There already are a bunch of VoIP providers/software manufacturers... guess another one won't hurt

I hope your dad's company won't make people dial an IP to call someone, though... I wouldn't buy shares of that company

when that "convergence" hits the end (home) user, i think we will have diferent tecnology, such as IPv6 and related. So, we will have better security.

BTW, current voice tecnology (telephone...) has a crap security. VOiP isnt less secure than current one, just the "exposure" is more evident.....

And Digital voice uses less bandwidth than analog. So inst a concern.

For analog voice u need to use 64k for each conversation.

On digital i ve seen 10k works fine, depending on manufacturer. Its like video, i use to see video conference (full motion) with only 384 k bw. so digital (VOiP including) will use less bandwidth, not more.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.