Thread: Suggestions for a good book

Suggestions for a good book

I just finished Hacker Diaries: Confessions of a Teenage Hacker and I thought it was very good and it was my first hacker related book that I read. I am looking for some books that would be similar or somewhat related to the one I spoke of above. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Digital Fortress - Dan Brown - Deals with Encryption and good action, very good read.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Digital Fortress is a poor example IMHO. Cryptonomicon -- by Neal Stephenson, now that is a book on Encryption. Also take a look at The Code Book by Simon Singh (non-fiction). Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver isn't bad either (a hacker as a serial killer!).

There are also the following classics:

The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll
    Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution by Steven Levy
    At Large : The Strange Case of the World's Biggest Internet Invasion by David H. Freedman, Charles C. Mann
    CYBERPUNK: Outlaws and Hackers on the Computer Frontier, Revised by Katie Hafner
    The Fugitive Game by Jonathan Littman
    The Hacker Crackdown by Bruce Sterling

Some of these books are no longer in print so you'd have to get them either from Amazon's used book section or from a used book store.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

"Hacking Exposed" books are a good read. You can probably find older versions for cheap, but if you want nearly up to date info, get a later edition.

http://www.hackingexposed.com/

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Cryptonomicon -- by Neal Stephenson, now that is a book on Encryption.
    Cryptonomicon is an excellent read, good story with your crypto..

Simon Singh: The science of secrecy. Non fiction and plenty to grapple with.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Digital Fortress is a poor example IMHO. Cryptonomicon -- by Neal Stephenson, now that is a book on Encryption.
    Another good book...if I may play off MsMitten's suggestion of Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, is another of his books I have that I think is a good read: In the Beginning...Was the Command Line. Not a hacking book...but interesting just the same.

In the Beginning...Was the Command Line - A Review

P.S. Looks like I'm a senior, now. Took long enough.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Simon Singh: The science of secrecy. Non fiction and plenty to grapple with.
    ROFL. That's The Code Book. For a minute there I thought he had a new book out.

[edit]
    Oops... found this on the Website about The Science of Secrecy:

This is an adaptation of The Code Book, published to accompany the Channel 4 series The Science of Secrecy. It provides a deeper insight into some of the codes and ciphers featured in the series. Find out more about the eccentric genius Charles Babbage and how he broke 'The Undecipherable Cipher', and the impact of deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs on our understanding of Ancient civilizations.

For those interested you can visit his website for puzzles and such.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

BANNED
    Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
    by Jon Erickson
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

TCP/IP illustrated. Don't remember who it's by but it's a wonderful read.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.