Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet connection problem

I have replaced the motherboard, that is the only thing, Also nothing was abnormal with the computer, only my floppy drive has stopped working. i don't think that can be the problem.
    You replaced the mother board and now your floppy drive is not working. That would lead me to believe that your new mother board is having a conflict with your drivers and or your bios.

Perhaps you could reload or update your bios and check that your devices are working properly under your device manager. You might be having a problem with your ethernet connection and it is not passing data completely or allowing proper communication between devices.

Since it seemed to crash when you rebooted, it might have rolled back your drivers to a previous version that are not compatable with you current setup.

A few ideas to check anyway....good luck.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

For moxnix:

What you say is correct, but when I go to the device manager, the driver for the card is fine.. i mean no exclamation mark, for floppy drive, i replaced the drive itself, now it works fine, but even when i put in a new ethernet card same error...

MRG.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Try looking under unknown devices. You may find a floppy drive and a NIC in there. This serves to confuse Windows and usually makes the "real" device wig out. Delete any devices from Unknown Devices and restart the box. If things don't work right check unknown devices again, they may have reappeared. Delete them and try adding hardware manually and see if you can get it to recognize it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Try this then......under properties for your ethernet connection delete all the protocalls listed. Uninstall them actually, and then reload them all from your installation CD.

Sounds wierd, and it probably is, but I had to do that one time to get a dial up modem to work. Never did figure out exactly what was wrong, I was just happy when every thing started working right. (that was on a XP Home OS)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I just have to ask the obvious.. What does DTC TIP have to do with your internet connection??? DTC TIP is failing because it can't initialize over your network.. this is a result of network connectivity problems, not the cause...

DTC is the data transaction coordinator.. it does nothing in regards to TCP/IP connectivity... it helps handle distributed transaction requests.. Mainly used for SQL servers and MS transaction server... Works at the application layer of the OSI model..

Is your nic configured properly? tried uninstalling/reinstalling the TCP/IP stack? Reinstall drivers for your nic?

Are you using DHCP to get an IP? Try running "cmd" and using "ipconfig" to see if you're getting an IP. Then try pinging 127.0.0.1, followed by your IP, followed by your gateway followed by a known outside IP followed by a domain name and see if you get replies in some cases but no others.

Hi ,

I did try reinstalling the drivers, uninstalling TCP/IP infact putting in a new network card, nothing works, even if i do a ipconfig it assigns the NIC a 164.x.x.x ip addresxs with no gateway no DHCP nothing, so i also tried giving it manual ip address but again it doesnot work.

have you tried to ipconfig? can you get any IP?

Do you have another machine that you can test everything past your network card with? It could be a faulty cable or even that your T1 circuit is down. You say it happened when you rebooted but I've seen plenty of cases where something stops working and you just happened to have rebooted so you figure that is what did it.

Since you're running 2k, click start, settings, network and dail-up connections. Then double click the LAN adapter and see if there are any sent and receieved packets.