Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The State Of AntiOnline

Old Fart
    BRAVO old chap......you raised some excellent points and I REALLY hope that JM sits up and takes notice. I agree with you that the forum I requested should be VIEWABLE TO EVERYONE but invulnerable to trolls....maybe it will even (if JM sees fit to allow it's existence) eventually take on the "dark feel" that you miss so badly. For that matter, I pretty well agree with everything you said.

I know it probably doesn't mean anything to you, but I want to publicly apologize for giving you down the road like I did in the "new forum" thread. You did indeed put your money where your mouth is, and this member appreciates your doing so.

JACK IS NOT A TROLL!!!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Yeah, he's really not. He's just a wannabe troll
    Space For Rent.. =]

even if jupmedia doesn't take action for the reasons stated above...they'll still lose money because sooner or later this site will completely lose the respect it one had, and the members who show up the most will start to leave. If you have no1 seeing the banners, then no more $$ for them. I for one show up at least 4-5 times. Plenty of other members do the same, if not more and if those members leave, simply because AO is not what it used to be, then it will be a loss of assets for JupMedia anyways. Unfortunately AO is not going to go back to what it used to be, but hopefully with our help, and a little action from JupMedia we can make it even better than what it used to be. Ok i'm done rambling on and on. Its getting late. Tomorrow i'll probably reread this post and fix it so it makes more sense. Good night all.

Well, I was never around for the old days, so all I know are the stories. As is, AO has done a lot for me as a net admin, so I'm very thankful for that, and see a lot of usefulness for the site. However, I really wish I could've been around for the old days though, it sounds infinitaley intriguing.

albn
    go to http://archive.org and type www.antionline.com and look for the older dates. It is slower than hell, but you will see what it used to be like. The old forums are even there, and look for linuxguy99... that was me. I only made like three posts. All my time was spent on the other parts of the site.

JP used UBB, and I think was in PERL and not PHP. That's what caused the defacements were the CGI sploits. He had two from what I recall, one in the AntiCode (which was an AWESOME resource) and the main page. I know a fellow named r0n1n defaced the main site.

In any case, some of the old stuff is still here, but I can bet it is not accessed nearly as much because it is simply not updated. That's not good.

Now... for another idea. I know there are people out there that DO have information about the underground, and maybe MsMittens can put that in the newsletter. Also, why not have the newsletters available for browsing via browser directly from AO without having to bother to download it? Hell, I'll translate whatever MsMittens has and translate it to HTML and make a post to where people can browse it from another site if JupMedia does not care to impliment it.

As for updated files, that is a but grey because not many hosts do not allow files that contain malicious code and when JP had his own server, he could do so. So I understand if JupMedia does not want to update things like this because of the sue factor... but I am sure there are members here that DO have hosts that can indeed host them and can have it available. That is not limited to kiddie tools, but other stuff admins can find useful.

More thoughts.

albn
    Ooops my mistake, it was not r0n1n who defaced the site (so sorry dude...) It had a similar sounding name of n1nor. Man, I feel like ****.

Here is the link http://www.wbglinks.net/pages/histor...nlinehack.html

Again, my deepest apologies for not having a clear memory....

I must congrat albn for his analysis. I have followed the AO story for 3 years now (2 as a real member), and I remind clearly how it was with JP. Many things were not perfect at all (APs wars were so sad and stupid...) but AO had some force in the way it was a polemical source.

Our war with Attrition.org was the symbol of this state. We were hated, we were different, and it is what made us a community. It is what gave us our identity.

Maybe it's time to retrieve this particularity.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Kiss:

How?..... It's a product of the membership combined with the ability of JupM to accept a huge potential for risk to their business...... How do you suggest that the two can live side by side with both being successful?

Yeah, tough question, I know......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I see two possibilities:

- If JupM want to own something more interesting than "a big tech forum site slowly forgotten by everybody", they will have to improve its content and to accept to take some risks. They should be happy to see people attacking (verbally and technically) AO: It proves the site becomes more popular, and it provides them free publicity.
    - A bunch of little (or not so little, sometimes) security sites are owned by AO members. We could create an "AO network" with all those sites, which would contain what JupM don't want to host, as suggested albn. We could even imagine to make specialized sites: one for admin tools, one for e-zines, one for exploits...
    So, AO would be the central point of a whole organized community sites network.

Just my 2 cents.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I for one would be willing to either make a web site for some of this, or help someone else that is perhaps more compedent at web design than I am.

I don't know what legal hassles that Jupiter Media might have linking to 3rd party sites, but am more than willing to help in any way I can.

I am sure that there are other members who would be willing to donate their time and expertise to this kind of endevore also. But before we start making any lists of willing people and making plans for these web sites, we should get the response from Jupiter Media as to the legality and if/or they wish to be associated with anything like this.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown