Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The State Of AntiOnline

albn

The State Of AntiOnline

People have asked me wondering what the hell is going on and asked what would make this site better. Before I begin, these are just opinions and ideas, and you can take it or leave it as it is.

AntiOnline has been on a downward spiral for a while, but it HAS been worse in the past, and some improvements have been made, alas, it can be much better. How can things be better here? I have some suggestions.

1. AntiOnline has lost its focus, and needs to find its old roots that AntiOnline was founded on, and that is make crackers hate this site once again. That means reinstating the way JP originally had it, and includes updated exploit code, ezines and activities from the underground that administrators and end users alike can learn and know what is going on to better protect themselves. You see, cracker kiddies always have the upper hand, and administrators need a bleeding edge for updated information not just in the news but what the tools and techniques crackers use. Remember when crackers hated JP so much this was a primary target? That's when AO was at its prime.

I would visit everyday to NOT see the forums but to take in the content this site offered including the intrusion log(it was cool to ask Bub about an attack attempt and read what kind of attack it was because it probably shows what kind of technique crackers are using at the moment... it seems they come and go in trends), interviews, hacker profiling, the files, and other great things. Granted, we will never have the "old days" because JP is gone, but it does not mean this site cannot reroute the focus, and the focus was NOT the forums, it was just a suppliment.

2. Despite the popular conception, AntiPoints are not a problem. In fact, they are a good idea. I have never had a problem with the system, but that should not be a focus on how this site can be better.

3. An addicted seniors forum is fine, and you can have it, but if all the important information is not presented to all users, then there is no point in new users showing up. So I suggest any good tutorials and/or discussions that need to be presented to non-elitists can be readble for all to get something.

4. Adovcacy should be for all operating systems and user level experience should be immaterial. If there is information for beginners like the "fight back" section, then even people without techincal knowledge can get quick and useful info. There is no reason why that cannot be added onto as new things crop up. When somebody says "I am running Windows ME" should not get snickers but real help. "Check Google" or "You are a dumbass" does not help anybody. It is different when people ask how to hack Hotmail or harm somebody, but it should not be a problem when somebody asks how to do something that is against thier own machine or asks an honest quesiton with something potentially questionable. Perhaps it should be more prominant?

5. There is so much potential for the newsletter for AntiOnline. MsMittens works very hard on that e-zine, and maybe if there were contests or more incentive to write cool articles for it, then maybe that will take off and contributed to more often.

6. A defaced page mirror can be helpful. Attacks are not limited to making a web page different, but it can also mean DoS's, how people steal YOUR data, intrude on your privacy, and other stuff. I have seen crackers steal entire databases filled with very sensitive data and have it available. Admins want to know this stuff right? Yes, maintaining a deface archive is HUGE task, and that's why Attrition stopped doing it because of the work invloved.

I know this site may not impliment any of these changes and go back to the "darker" feel it had before, but it was really nice before this became so watered down because it reminded me of the good guy wearing a black hat. That's what made me fall in love with this place. However, this site is owned by a conglomertate, and may taint the image of the company and may not be feasable, but I guess it was worth the shot.

Thanks Jack,
    Now thats what I want to see CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM.
    3. An addicted seniors forum is fine, and you can have it, but if all the important information is not presented to all users, then there is no point in new users showing up. So I suggest any good tutorials and/or discussions that need to be presented to non-elitists can be readble for all to get something.
    Is one of the only ones I can directly address. The way that Tiger and I have suggested in this thread was to do exactly that. Either it was to be an open to everybody to read, but not post in, or it was to be edited and then displayed after a conclusion was determined. And no, it was never set in granite, it was just some loose ideas thrown out to attract the attention of the administrators so we could start to get something off the ground.

Antipoints I agree are needed for member moderation of this site. I think they are misused alot of the time, but I really can't think of a better system to implement.

Like you, I do miss seeing the stats on the attacks against 'AO'. To be truthfull, I didn't understand very much about them while they were still being displayed, but I was learning.

Now for my challenge: albn started this tread with some excellent constructive critisism. What do the rest of you have to say? Can you do as well and get a Discussion going that could be productive or just dump it back into a kiddie pud pulling flamewar?

moxnix
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I think the "darker feel" you are looking for isn't something that JupM has any control over. It's more a product of the people than the board itself. There's a gazillion skiddie sites out there that try to project that "dark" image but the ensuing content shows the projection for what it is, a skiddie site.

Another argument that JupM is going to bring will go kinda like this..... We have an asset called AO. We make money from it but the profit margin isn't high. If we make AO a place the "enemy" hate and attack we have two choices:-

1. Spend a lot of money on a high priced SecAdmin to protect it specifically thus cutting into the profits, or
    2. Don't spend the money, get hacked weekly and lose all credibility, thus all membership of worth, thus all our investment.

I don't think that when JP started AO he had those concerns. At the beginning his biggets investment would have been his time which, unfortunately, you can't go back and recoup. I think you will find that this argument, while not necessarily being argued by them in public, will be a big motivator for JupM.

Just my thoughts......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Antionline Herpetologist
    I for one feel that albn's comments should be taken seriously. He has taken the time to make a bunch of VERY constructive suggestions without letting his emotions run away with him. I think all the suggestions merit looking at. I feel that maintaining a defacement archive is a lot of work and (IMHO) of debatable value. However, I really feel that the other suggestions should be very very seriously considered. The hack attempts log might be a good idea but only if the attackers IP's were removed to protect JupM from getting sued. I'm all for making the AO newsletter better. Maybe offer a T-Shirt or something to someone who contributes over a particular number of articles. I'm also all for resurrecting the fight-back section.
    I'm asking the community to look at these suggestions seriously and not ignore them just because Jack/albn suggested them. He's been behaving like an ass because he feels strongly about the site and he was just reacting to what he felt was a loss of quality.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

albn
    Not that it should be taken seriously by any means. This is probably something that is not in reach, and I just miss the old days. Since there is not much I can do about it, perhaps JupMedia can try to do something to focus more on content, news articles, interviews and other things like the old AO used to have and not make the forums the focus.

Oh well. Thanks Moxnix. My trolling days are over now that I got to finally say it. :|

I tried to "green you" but apparently I negged you too recently...... I guess it's the thought that counts......

If you have something to say, say it. But messing wih the forums and being a pain doesn't get you anywhere.... Conversely, you could argue that this thread won't get you anywhere either and you are right.... But it's no-one's _fault_, IMO.... The site attracts who it attracts.... It's hard for the owner to change that and it's harder still for the membership.

My thoughts.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

albn
    I do not need anybody's AP's. AP's as I said mean nothing. All they are to me are gif's.

Then can I assume you will be adult enough to accept the thought? Or would that be a little too much?

albn
    The thought is enough. But whatever. heh

Yeah.... I guess "whatever, heh" could be construed as a good thing......