Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The State Of AntiOnline

albn
    A bunch of little (or not so little, sometimes) security sites are owned by AO members. We could create an "AO network" with all those sites, which would contain what JupM don't want to host, as suggested albn. We could even imagine to make specialized sites: one for admin tools, one for e-zines, one for exploits...
    So, AO would be the central point of a whole organized community sites network.
    Some problems may arise from this. As member web sites come and go so quickly. That means links will have to be updated constantly which would be a real pain in the ass. I cannot see AO condoning a "network" that is official anyway. Maybe I need to be a little clearer on the idea. If somebody has something to contribute if JupMedia does not want to officially recognize it, members can post a link to that resource. That way it is up to the user to update other users for changes to that resource.

IMHO, I do not see JupMedia really doing this because of the risk involved. There is too much riding on sponsors, and the other sites it has acquired, and if one site is known for problems, then other sites can be reflected from that one site if in fact it does carry a good guy in a black hat image.

As you know, JP really had no risk because it was all his and no coorperation owned it. Granted, he was careful and did all he could, but he jumped ship when the Titanic was sinking. Many think it was the AntiPoints, but it was not, and never has been. It lost focus.

How can we bring this site BACK into focus? That is a question that can only be answered by JupMedia, because it is shaking the very foundations on what the site is right now. That means changing a lot of code, moving **** around and a lot of stuff they just cannot be bothered to because they have a LOT of other sites to manage and keep going. While they may have the money, I do not think it is a wise business decision to change things around because albn wants a darker feel to it. It will take a lot more to do that, and that may require a LARGE majority of this site to demand it. Demand makes for change because money makes the world and web sites go around. I seriously doubt every member cares for this idea.

I just need to shut the **** up and either live with what we have now or move on.

I hope you're not true. I hope that JupM will understand that being serious in security field is not a matter of sponsorship, but of content. I hope they will wonder why SecurityFocus is so popular and respected, with its bugtrack list and all the vulnerabilities published. I hope they will wonder why such a polemical site like /. can be a reference. I hope they will wonder why FullDisclosure is still so used, while this mailing list is far away from AO conveniences.

I hope...
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Originally posted here by KissCool
    I hope you're not true. I hope that JupM will understand that being serious in security field is not a matter of sponsorship, but of content. I hope they will wonder why SecurityFocus is so popular and respected, with its bugtrack list and all the vulnerabilities published. I hope they will wonder why such a polemical site like /. can be a reference. I hope they will wonder why FullDisclosure is still so used, while this mailing list is far away from AO conveniences.

I hope...
    As soon as the MEMBERS who make the posts realise that it should be fine. Before you point the fingers at Jupiter Media, take a look at AO. They do NOT make the posts, we do. If it's going down hill, it's because of us. And if you don't like it, change it. You have the power, do something about it.

Sitting around saying it's any one person's fault is crap. If you don't like how things are going, well, change them. Don't leave because "You don't like how AO is going". Grow your balls back and use them.

It would be cool to have a section of AO similar to other security places that have a section on exploits and things to help people remember to update, but the root is still everyone who posts here. If you think the front page is mostly tech support bullshit, which would be true, well, make posts that aren't, and take out the ones that are.

After I stood up and said I wouldn't put up with bullshit threads anymore, I got applause, and bitching. I got bitched out because I was being "Mean". Everyone wants to say how they think it could be better but few actually try and make it that way.

Take it like you want a job. Are you going to get a job sitting on your ass at home complaining about how you don't have one? Hell no. But getting of your ass and looking for one and actually trying will. Why should this be any different? It's still the same teachings. Actions speak louder than bitching.

I get bitched about and called an ******* because of what I do. Too ****ing bad. I'm not putting up with the bitching and whining because "AO Sucks" I'm going to do what I can about it. You can think I'm an ******* all you want, it doesn't matter.

At least I'm trying. And I'm also being called a "Wanna be mod" by Memory/Nemory/Wav for trying. Well, that's nice, I don't care.

AO is self moderated, everyone in this thread is a partial mod. The real Mods do what they can, and the members should be picking up the rest.

I've said it a million times already:

If you don't like it, get off your ass and do something about it. Re-Attach your balls, pull them out of the shrink wrap, and use the damned things.

er0k
    AntiOnlines a state now? that's awesome.. can i be governor?

edit >> easy gore.. kisscool is cool.. no need to be mean !

albn
    gore: I was talking on how JupMedia would most likely not change the entire site for one person. I said my piece, now I am done. Whatever happens with this site happens. People asked what happened, I answered. I did not expect a response such as this, but oh well.

I also gave some suggestions, but I never said they will or should be implemented either. In fact, it is basically silly to do so. People said "albn should be taken seriously" and "yeah ,they should do all these things" But that is unrealistic.

The bottom line is: The old days are gone, JP is gone, and this is what we have.

I will reiterate: I just need to shut the **** up and either live with what we have now or move on.

As for you being an ******* and wannabe mod, hey, you do what you want to do, say what you want to say or whatever. I am not here to judge anybody.

er0k: Make a thread that says "Make er0k governer of AntiOnline" I don't care.

I have to agree with gore on his opinion of what makes AO what it is. It is us, plain and simple. I seem to be continually complimenting gore on his contributions. (despite his "colorful" language )

gore, I tried to give you greenies but it seems I have given you some on another topic recently. I now bestow upon you pseudo greenies.....
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

LOL! Thank Aeallison. My little PFY.

ALBN, you know I wouldn't attack you. I just had to get that off my chest. Wasn't trying to attack you or anything. You know me better than that

er0k

Re: The State Of AntiOnline

Originally posted here by albn
    People have asked me wondering what the hell is going on and asked what would make this site better. Before I begin, these are just opinions and ideas, and you can take it or leave it as it is.

AntiOnline has been on a downward spiral for a while, but it HAS been worse in the past, and some improvements have been made, alas, it can be much better. How can things be better here? I have some suggestions.

1. AntiOnline has lost its focus, and needs to find its old roots that AntiOnline was founded on, and that is make crackers hate this site once again. That means reinstating the way JP originally had it, and includes updated exploit code, ezines and activities from the underground that administrators and end users alike can learn and know what is going on to better protect themselves. You see, cracker kiddies always have the upper hand, and administrators need a bleeding edge for updated information not just in the news but what the tools and techniques crackers use. Remember when crackers hated JP so much this was a primary target? That's when AO was at its prime.

I would visit everyday to NOT see the forums but to take in the content this site offered including the intrusion log(it was cool to ask Bub about an attack attempt and read what kind of attack it was because it probably shows what kind of technique crackers are using at the moment... it seems they come and go in trends), interviews, hacker profiling, the files, and other great things. Granted, we will never have the "old days" because JP is gone, but it does not mean this site cannot reroute the focus, and the focus was NOT the forums, it was just a suppliment.

2. Despite the popular conception, AntiPoints are not a problem. In fact, they are a good idea. I have never had a problem with the system, but that should not be a focus on how this site can be better.

3. An addicted seniors forum is fine, and you can have it, but if all the important information is not presented to all users, then there is no point in new users showing up. So I suggest any good tutorials and/or discussions that need to be presented to non-elitists can be readble for all to get something.

4. Adovcacy should be for all operating systems and user level experience should be immaterial. If there is information for beginners like the "fight back" section, then even people without techincal knowledge can get quick and useful info. There is no reason why that cannot be added onto as new things crop up. When somebody says "I am running Windows ME" should not get snickers but real help. "Check Google" or "You are a dumbass" does not help anybody. It is different when people ask how to hack Hotmail or harm somebody, but it should not be a problem when somebody asks how to do something that is against thier own machine or asks an honest quesiton with something potentially questionable. Perhaps it should be more prominant?

5. There is so much potential for the newsletter for AntiOnline. MsMittens works very hard on that e-zine, and maybe if there were contests or more incentive to write cool articles for it, then maybe that will take off and contributed to more often.

6. A defaced page mirror can be helpful. Attacks are not limited to making a web page different, but it can also mean DoS's, how people steal YOUR data, intrude on your privacy, and other stuff. I have seen crackers steal entire databases filled with very sensitive data and have it available. Admins want to know this stuff right? Yes, maintaining a deface archive is HUGE task, and that's why Attrition stopped doing it because of the work invloved.

I know this site may not impliment any of these changes and go back to the "darker" feel it had before, but it was really nice before this became so watered down because it reminded me of the good guy wearing a black hat. That's what made me fall in love with this place. However, this site is owned by a conglomertate, and may taint the image of the company and may not be feasable, but I guess it was worth the shot.
    yeah.. anyone remember antioffline, and happyhacker.org, attrition, etc? (JP's nemesis - Carolyne Meinel (SP?) )

I dont see any of the JupMedia people on tv for being security experts

albn
    Carolyne Meinel ... yes, that name does ring a bell, and I remember she and JP were doing the wargames. Now IIRC, JP supposidly ratted people out or something and that's what caused a lot of problems? I am gonna have to look up some old stuff and get back to you.

And yeah, Attrition hated JP and AntiOnline. And nope, you will not see JupMedia on TV as secuity experts... so guess what that leaves, us.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    From everything I read by Carolyn and everything I read about Carolyn I can safely say that the only person she was a "nemesis" to was herself.

Having flame wars with another site is one thing - but she should have at least produced something that gets past the net use command on an unprotected computer.....

Erok: What was the point of quoting the _whole_ of the OP's message? A simple "Albn:" would have sufficed.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides