Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: w00t w00t! [also included FTP Server Querstion]

w00t w00t! [also included FTP Server Querstion]

[[for security related post please skip to end]]

ummmm k just wanted to say happy 22nd to me!!!

please dont see this as a 'oh look I got a year older please give me greenies' - so dont =P

but just wanted to say well ummmm happy b-day to me and everyone else here at AO

wither your birthday has past...is sometime in the future or like me is happening right now

be you you 30 or 13 - lets all remember one thing........well Ill tell you what i mean when i remember

but one thing you discover when you get older is the secrets to life - it is really alot simplier than you could imagine 42 (looking blankly go read hitchers guide to the galaxy! believe me you'll thank me)

and for all those who are looking down on these kind of posts i have combined it with a question i needed answered so read on for the question

ok need a good FTP server proggie - need suggestions

dont need anything fancy just starting new course and want to be able to access my comp to pick up work from uni - do not need a rat as i can simply drop files into ftp folder before leave in morning

also is there any tool which can reconnect a BT adsl connection should it drop incase it dies while at uni.....on a related note i need something that will announce my ip either by sending to a specified email etc on reconnect - any suggestions (was thinking about that servicxe is it no-domain....someone wanna help me out of they know what i mean??)

thanks

v_Ln

First and foremost: happy birthday, Valhallen.

For your ftp server, I would simply use PureFTPd. It is a well known server which, even if it can be configured in order to make a lot of advanced stuffs, can also be launch nearly directly out of the box to make basic stuffs.

Concerning your third question, you could write a little bit of Perl or Python code in order to get your ip and to send it to an email adresse. You could even use a shell script combining "ifconfig" and "mail" program with some regexp (yes, I know. Regexp are a pain in the [censored]. But you could try).

Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

[edit]

/me big dumbass

Happy Birthday! There's not a lot I could wish you since I don't know you, but I'm sure whatever you need and want are within reach once you set out to get them, and that's more then I could do anyway

[/edit]

I am not sure if it's a win or a lin box. For win there's free domains at dyndns.org and with a tool like DirectUpdate [also linked from their site] your DNS gets automatically updated to whatever IP you have.

If it's a lin box you could have a short prog/script to check the IP... or one to ping a reliable host and, upon disconnection and reconnection [a variable and a couple of ifs] it would e-mail you. With full headers your computer's IP should show up in the message header. Although I'm pretty sure they have a tool to do that on dyndns.org for linux too
    /\\

AO French Antique News Whore
    Happy B-Day! For your question, are you behind a router with a virtual IP or your computer is directly connect to your router?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Happy Birthday Val. I find it rather funny you got the greens anyways, despite asking not to Have a good one man..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Blast From the Past
    believe gore had a question similiar to this.....
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ght=secure+ftp

happy bday val
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

ok a little bit more info - sorry should have given this last night but was a little bit full of the b-day spirit - lol

OS - Win XP Pro
    Internet - Direct Connect (adsl...usb modem)

thanks for the suggestions this far dyndns - thats the name of the site i was ying to remember - thanks

but what about to reconnect adsl if connection is lost anyone got any ideas??

v_Ln

NetLauch and Cidial might solve your reconnection problem.

If you understand french, you can also try ADSLautoconnect, which will send by itself your new ip to a specified email adress.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Happy B-day Val, Now you may treat yourself on a belgian beer
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Happy Birthday Val!

3. Repeat as necessary...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me