Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: stupid computer

[QUOTE] Originally posted here by shadowkingjesse
    [B]
    Originally posted here by the_JinX
    In refference to the thread topic, so it's the computer that is stupid, not you..

I'm not saying that I had nothing to do with the problem. There's a good chance that I did it. I'm just saying that I find what the computer is doing now to be stupid. Computers in general make no mistakes. Only the people that make and operate them.
    So I am beginning to smell a troll...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

How is it that you're beginning to smell a troll? I'm just saying that I'm not necessarily blaming the computer for its problems. I did nothing that would intentionally cause it to screw up but I'm not ruling out the possibility of my doing something accidently that would cause it to have these problems. Even the best of us make mistakes.

shadowkingjesse: Don't mind him, he's old

aeallison: I see where your coming from, but let's not jump down anyones throat. Nor shall we jump to conclusions.. k?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    shadowkingjesse: Don't mind him, he's old

aeallison: I see where your coming from, but let's not jump down anyones throat. Nor shall we jump to conclusions.. k?
    Yes I am old... but with age comes wisdom...

I should have asked him a second time if he has tried Ad Aware yet, as he has not answered my first question, nor has he added anything constructive to this problem, other that bitching to the people who are trying to help. I understand he is a n00b, that is why I havn't slammed him with a load of negs. I have zero patience for people who ask for help and do not try what is suggested, or worse yet blame it on their computer when they don't understand something. I asked a very simple question that required a very simple answer. I could have called him a flaming idiot too, but I didn't. Oh! excuse me if I am talking like he is not in the room, I didn't see him hiding behind his monitor.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

First off, Hijack this can be dangerous, so use caution. Also taking my advise is all in your hands, but I'll try to help you the best I can! Use your best judgement and don't point at me if this messes something up ... Hijack this also creates backup files if you tell it to just to be cautious!

In general, when you use Hijack this, the most common bad things appear towards the top, and bottom of the list, the middle is usually the good stuff.

Soda Popinsky wrote a pretty good tutorial on how to use it, here .

Looking at your logs, I immediately think that the R1's & R0's are bad, with the exception of the google one I doubt you want that running.

The F1, means its a created ini file, which probably isn't good either, I'd axe that

Evidence Eliminator eh?? Nice

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://imgfarm.com/images/nocache/fu...tup1.0.0.5.cab
    Not sure what the above is, but unless you know, I'd axe it too!

Thats my suggestions, however judging from your descriptions of whats going on, I think that ME is part of the culprit. Looks like you've got a slew of other things running too, several anti spyware's. Make sure they are updated, and scan them in conjunction.

I see nothing too nasty in the Hijack this log.... I'm thinking meybe more problems than spyware!

Blast From the Past
    is it me or when windows starts to go down hill their isnt much you can do to help....yes you can scan all you want and uninstall kazaa *bad idea in the first place to even have it* you can do diskclean up defragment and everything but their comes a point when one must decide

A. keep fighting a loosing battle with win ME
    B. break down and buy a copy of windows XP and do a backup/format in an afternoon

its up to you man

personaly id say that you just go with xp cause from what i heard ME was a beta to 2000 which was a beta for NT5 which is in essence XP...betas can be ok but the beta of a beta?....

just my 2 cents
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

About 2000 being the beta for XP, I would take 2000 as soon as XP, and XP as soon as 2000. If I was a Win2000 user, I sure wouldn't take the time, money, and small danger involoved in updating my OS to Windows XP. XP basically just adds some ugly light-blue and light-green, cartoonish things that make XP run slower. XP still has all the classic Windows flaws such as NetBIOS, and the downhill nature towards crappiness. Then again, it's better than ME...

skj, it's my expert opinion that you're computer is just old and in a bad mood. This happens whether or not you have all the AV stuff and firewalls installed. Maybe back in the day your hard drive just fell off of the wrong side of the assembly line and now it's mad at you. I would suggest playing with the Registry, especially the Run services. You find all sorts of interesting stuff there, and it's also fun to randomly delete keys and sees how your computer responds. Barring that, you could try giving the machine every now and then. Computers need love too.
    Why am I still here?

I just saw that I posted my long rant about Windows XP, adn didn't give you a word of advice. Well, I had a problem about a month ago with my Windows XP computer. The problem was simply, it sucked. Yeah, it took forever to start up, then when it started up it would freeze for about 10 minutes, and from then on it would freeze about every half-hour. Although your problem sounds different, both computers suffered from the saem issue: too much crap on the HD. Here's my advice:

1)uninstall ALL the programs you don't use. Be honest with yourself, if you don't use a program a lot, uninstall it. Don't have a program that you never use on your system. For example, I uninstalled Avant, Opera, and OpenOffice. Yeah, it's a good program suite, but I never use word procerssors. Also, clear out all your files and folder. I emptied my massively overloaded 'My Pictures' folder, 'My Documents', and I also discovered that I had like 20 'demo' files in my 'My Movies' folder.

2)Scan for spyware...I recommend AdAware, although some one's already mentioned that.

3)Clean out your registry!!! This is often overlooked, but I can not stress how much it improved my performance. I highly recommend "TweakNow RegCleaner", you can download it form www.download.com.

4)Run the disk cleanup wizard, it really helps. I cleaned up many, many megs of space on my HD by doing that. Make sure your temp files get enptied.

5)Finally, defrag. I recommend Diskeeper, but if you must the built-in defragger that comes with Windows works fine.

Hope this helps.

My advice, answer aeallison and hypronix before going further.

Simple: Did you try AD-Aware? What were the results?

More basic: Sounds more like something conflicting with your video driver. Have you checked for all updates including such things as video drivers? And all these programs ( like EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR and SPY SWEEPER ) have you checked through the known bugs to see if there was a problem there with ME or your video card?

Just my thoughts.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes