Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: stupid computer

(Just out of curiosity Spyder, who had a good point. Me or The3ntropy?)
    The3ntrophy. And disk cleanup is installed on windows:

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup
    Space For Rent.. =]

Even though you have norton I would still go to Housecall.... what can two opinions hurt?

Think of your computer as a person if a person was diagnosed with cancer they would want a second opinion.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

good point

On the spyware front I would still try ad-aware, there is a free version so you have nothing to loose. The new version can also scan alternative data streams and has many other new features, definately worth a blast. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Windows ME definately does not help, it will never be very stable, just less unstable. You could also download Hijack This from here http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

and post the log either here or somewhere else, it has helped me out a lot of times, rather than depending on refernce files it just tells you what setting on your computer have changed from the defaults where spyware usally hides. Cool tool

Even if you do not have any spyware a common culprit is programs such as RealPlayer that install auto updaters and things like that but the HJT log should shown them up too, gotta love it.

When you say your fonts are all the same, what are we talking about here ? Word, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer ?

I have heard that using TweakUI 1.33 you can repair system fonts, I cannot try it because it does not work with XP but you can download it here if you think its worth a try http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../nttweakui.asp

I know this should not be a problem, but I have to say it anyway... your box is completely up2date, including AV updates, OS and other apps being constantly updated? Although ongoing support for ME is no more, you still stand safer by having all these updates.

I strongly recommend getting a firewall, some things cannot be properly handled by the AV soft. There are enough free options out there, and I will only recommend ZoneAlarm because that one did its job well for me.

As everything else goes, the usual suspects are to be blamed. And you got a lot of suggestions about what to do regarding those, which means I would only plagiarize if I were to repeat all of that
    /\\

Forgot to mention I do have a firewall and it is Zonealarm Pro with WebFiltering and its a great Firewall. You can't go without one nowadays. I'm going to download Hijack this and try it out and I'll post the log here. As for the fonts, when it does happen, everything changes to typewriter font (word processors, websites, etc) All the problems will go away after a reboot but they all eventually come back.

Alright I ran Hijack This and the resulting log is in the attachment. I would have posted it but it seemed too long.

Have you tried adaware yet, I am really not an expert in security, but I have seen some references in your log file that are removed by adaware when they appear on my machine. You can download a free version at: http://www.lavasoftusa.com

I hope this helps.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

In refference to the thread topic, so it's the computer that is stupid, not you..

Spybot S&D
    AdAware
    HijackThis

the standard rescue kit..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

[QUOTE] Originally posted here by the_JinX
    [B]In refference to the thread topic, so it's the computer that is stupid, not you..

I'm not saying that I had nothing to do with the problem. There's a good chance that I did it. I'm just saying that I find what the computer is doing now to be stupid. Computers in general make no mistakes. Only the people that make and operate them.