Thread: CA Buys Pest Patrol

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

CA Buys Pest Patrol

Computer Associates is low-man on the antivirus totem pole with something like 3% marketshare worldwide, but they still have a fairly broad range of security products and services.

This past week they expanded that portfolio with the purchase of the anti-spyware program Pest Patrol.

CA Press Release

Seems like consolidation happens in spurts. McAfee announced a buy-out of Foundstone on the 16th. Something like $84 in cash. Not bad for a five-year-old company.

Official press release here:
    http://www.foundstone.com/company/pr...tm?indexid=142

l00p

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Yeah- I think the McAfee / Foundstone thing is much bigger news. Both parties are bigger than the two parties in the CA / Pest Patrol thing.

I spoke with Stuart McClure about the purchase and what it means to him, his team, their tools and seminars and the Hacking Exposed books- which the Foundstone execs and management have written the majority of. You can read my article on it here: Foundstone Acquired By McAfee

Good article, offers more insight than the rank-and-file press release. I took two of Foundstone's courses (Hacking Exposed, and Incident Response) over the past few months. Good stuff, I wonder if it'll change any in either content or direction..

l00p