Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Ink too Scary for Kids in School!

Same here Spy, my AP classes kept me at home buried while everyone else was out playing. I just think a lot of schools need to work more on actually reinforcing lessons and less on just keeping students "busy".

Same here Spy, my AP classes kept me at home buried while everyone else was out playing. I just think a lot of schools need to work more on actually reinforcing lessons and less on just keeping students "busy".
    Unfortunately theres only so much you can teach a student in 45-50 minutes. The best way to learn(or get better at something) is by practice...that applies to everything. The best way to be better at sex, sports, school, work is by pratice. Homework offers that by practicing what you did in class. I am pro homework although I hated doing them.

Of course it depends from one school to the other, and every school has incompetent teachers who use homework not for the intended purpose (I.E. Punishiing a student). I've deal with incompetent teachers in college whom were not prepared for their materials, taught the class by reading the book and did not know the names of the electronic materials (Resistors, transistors, transformers...etc).

Cheers.

Punishing the student eh? I remember when I was late for class and my English teacher wanted to know why I was late, so I told her that while on the way to school I was pulled out of my car by a band of Amazon weomen and willfully molested. Hee Hee. So, for my smart $$$ remark, I was told that I had to copy the definition of the word "RUN" 10 times from the dictionary. No problem right? OMG you should look up that definition. The pain is still seared into my brain and my cramped yellow #2 gripping fingertips.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

No problem right? OMG you should look up that definition. The pain is still seared into my brain and my cramped yellow #2 gripping fingertips.
    OK No problem

a score in baseball made by a runner touching all four bases safely; "the Yankees scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th"; "their first tally came in the 3rd inning"
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

the act of testing something; "in the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately"; "he called each flip of the coin a new trial"

a race run on foot; "she broke the record for the half-mile run"

an unbroken series of events; "had a streak of bad luck"; "Nicklaus had a run of birdies"

(American football) a play in which a player runs with the ball; "the defensive line braced to stop the run"; "the coach put great emphasis on running"

a regular trip; "the ship made its run in record time"

the act of running; traveling on foot at a fast pace; "he broke into a run"; "his daily run keeps him fit"

the continuous period of time during which something (a machine or a factory) operates or continues in operation; "the assembly line was on a 12-hour run"

unrestricted freedom to use; "he has the run of the house"

the production achieved during a continuous period of operation (of a machine or factory etc.); "a daily run of 100,000 gallons of paint"

a small stream

a race between candidates for elective office; "I managed his campaign for governor"; "he is raising money for a Senate run"

a row of unravelled stitches; "she got a run in her stocking"

the pouring forth of a fluid

an unbroken chronological sequence; "the play had a long run on Broadway"; "the team enjoyed a brief run of victories"

a short trip; "take a run into town"

move fast by using one's feet, with one foot off the ground at any given time; "Don't run--you'll be out of breath"; "The children ran to the store"

flee; take to one's heels; cut and run; "If you see this man, run!"; "The burglars escaped before the police showed up"

stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope; run or extend between two points or beyond a certain point; "Service runs all the way to Cranbury"; "His knowledge doesn't go very far"; "My memory extends back to my fourth year of life"; "The facts extend beyond a consideration of her personal assets"

direct or control; projects, businesses, etc.; "She is running a relief operation in the Sudan"

have a particular form; "the story or argument runs as follows"; "as the saying goes..."

move along, of liquids; "Water flowed into the cave"; "the Missouri feeds into the Mississippi"

perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"

change or be different within limits; "Estimates for the losses in the earthquake range as high as $2 billion"; "Interest rates run from 5 to 10 percent"; "The instruments ranged from tuba to cymbals"; "My students range from very bright to dull"

run, stand, or compete for an office or a position; "Who's running for treasurer this year?"

cause to emit recorded sounds; "They ran the tapes over and over again"; "Can you play my favorite record?"

move about freely and without restraint, or act as if running around in an uncontrolled way; "who are these people running around in the building?"; "She runs around telling everyone of her troubles"; "let the dogs run free"

have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined; "She tends to be nervous before her lectures"; "These dresses run small"; "He inclined to corpulence"

carry out a process or program, as on a computer or a machine; "Run the dishwasher"; "run a new program on the Mac"; "the computer executed the instruction"

be operating, running or functioning; "The car is still running--turn it off!"

change from one state to another; "run amok"; "run rogue"; "run riot"

cause to perform; "run a subject"; "run a process"

be affected by; be subjected to; "run a temperature"; "run a risk"

continue to exist; "These stories die hard"; "The legend of Elvis endures"

occur persistently; "Musical talent runs in the family"

include as the content; broadcast or publicize; "We ran the ad three times"; "This paper carries a restaurant review"; "All major networks carried the press conference"

carry out; "run an errand"

guide or pass over something; "He ran his eyes over her body"; "She ran her fingers along the carved figurine"; "He drew her hair through his fingers"

cause something to pass or lead somewhere; "Run the wire behind the cabinet"

make without a miss

deal in illegally, such as arms or liquor

cause an animal to move fast; "run the dogs"

be diffused; "These dyes and colors are guaranteed not to run"

sail before the wind

cover by running; run a certain distance; "She ran 10 miles that day"

extend or continue for a certain period of time; "The film runs 5 hours"

set animals loose to graze

keep company; "the heifers run with the bulls ot produce offspring"

run with the ball; in such sports as football

travel rapidly, by any (unspecified) means; "Run to the store!"; "She always runs to Italy, because she has a lover there"

travel a route regularly; "Ships ply the waters near the coast"

pursue for food or sport (as of wild animals); "Goering often hunted wild boars in Poland"; "The dogs are running deer"; "The Duke hunted in these woods"

compete in a race; "he is running the Marathon this year"; "let's race and see who gets there first"

progress by being changed; "The speech has to go through several more drafts"; "run through your presentation before the meeting"

reduce or cause to be reduced from a solid to a liquid state, usually by heating; "melt butter"; "melt down gold"; "The wax melted in the sun"

come unraveled or undone as if by snagging; "Her nylons were running"

become undone; "the sweater unraveled"

In stairs, the net width of a step or the horizontal distance covered by a flight of stairs.
    www.theresponsibleorder.com/150glossary.htm

The horizontal distance from the eaves to a point directly under the ridge. One half the span.
    www.repair-home.com/info/glossary%20(p-z).htm

To execute a program or script.
    securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/refa.html

Running a program is how it is made to do something. The term "execute" means the same thing.
    www.saugus.net/Computer/terms.shtml

In a series of observations of attributes the occurrence of an uninterrupted series of the same attribute is called a run. A run can be a length of 1.
    www.pestmanagement.co.uk/library/glossqr2.html

a segment of the channel with depths and velocities intermediate between the rough, shallow water of riffles and the slow, deep water of pools; runs usually have a rectangular or trapezoidal cross section and lack a focused current
    www.cerc.cr.usgs.gov/rss/osgp/glossary.htm

"individual tread run" is the horizontal distance from the back of the tread to the front of the tread, disregarding the overlap or nosing of the tread. "Entire stairway run" is the horizontal distance from the loft edge to the front of the first tread.
    www.logstairways.com/glossary.htm

The distance of water main and appurtenances to be installed from the point of adequacy to the point in question. (As stated in Section 1-2 of the Rules and Regulations.)
    mauiwater.org/glossary.html

The horizontal distance of a rise to run ratio, used to describe the slope of stairs or a roof.
    netscape.homestore.com/HomeGarden/HomeImprovement/Tools/Glossary/CRHO_R.asp

1) A sequence of performances of the same show. 2) Horizontal width of a step. 3) See Run Through.
    www.dramatic.com.au/glossary/glossaryp_z.htm

The rapid advance of the head of a fire with a marked change in fire line intensity and rate of spread from that noted before and after the advance.
    www.fourcornersforests.org/wildlandterms.shtm

A run consists of a series of bid and offer quotes for different securities or maturities. Dealers give to and ask for runs from each other.
    http://www.americancapital.com/resou...ry/bfglosr.cfm

ensemble of tasks defined by a configuration process. The tasks are under the control of a scheduler coordinating the execution of the -> tasks while preserving any dependencies between them. An -> experiment can comprise several consecutive (restarted) runs
    prism.enes.org/Results/Documents/General/Glossary/version1.html

To let it work (a program); cf. execute.
    www.piensa.com/lpi/p-glossary.html

A sequence of CLEO III detector events. One run typically contains the events collected over a period of 45 - 60 minutes. (The term run is also used to describe a sequence of events generated using a Monte Carlo simulation. Simulated events are not relevant to the ADTS components.)
    http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~gregor/p.../glossary.html

To move a checker, particularly the player's last checker, from the opponent's home board.
    www.bkgm.com/glossary.html

A sequence of glyphs that are contiguous in memory and share a set of common attributes.
    developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Carbon/text/ATSUI/ATSUI_Concepts/atsui_glossary/chapter_11_section_1.html

A run occurs when one team outscores the other by a large margin in a certain period, such as a 12-2 run in the first four minutes of the third qusrter.
    eba-stats.com/gloG_glo.htm

The sum of stocks of a single salmonid species that migrates to a particular region, river or stream of origin at a particular season.
    www.governor.wa.gov/gsro/glossary.htm

A set of numbers and/or letters given to a particular batch of wallpaper rolls printed at the same time. Each time a new ink or different batch is printed, the dye-lot number will change. BACK TO TOP
    www.brewsterwallcovering.com/glossary.htm

a piece of meld consisting of one Ace, Ten, King, Queen, and Jack of Trump; worth 150 points. An extra King or Queen of Trump (or both) increases the value. See also bare run, double run, 1500 Trump.
    www.pagat.com/marriage/pingloss.html

A group of license plates of the same type, usually covering a number sequential years. It may also refer to a group of license plates, one from each province. i.e. Ontario run (from 1911 to date) or motorcycle run (one from each province and territory).
    www.canplates.com/glossary.html

The distance that the ball continues to travel after it's initial impact with the ground.
    www.golfrelated.com/dictionary/r.html

Refers to either the depth of a single stair step or to the horizontal distance covered by the entire flight of stairs.
    www.atkinsteam.com/glossary/construction/R.html

Refers to the season when the adults will migrate upstream (Chinook and Steelhead only). SP Spring SU Summer FA Fall WI Winter UN Unknown
    www.cbr.washington.edu/dart/help/hatch_def.html

Lol lol lol To the entire pen color thing, That’s all bs no one even cares about the colors. All that people notice are the grades

Cybr1d,

Your ultimately right about me. But, answer my question.
    Please don't reply with "practice."

Wisdom......
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

I am older than alot of you, and when I went to school, they did not care about our feelings. Did this in any way affect how I turned out. Nope, not at all. I work at a university and am taking classes there. You know what, there are no freshman at this university anymore. You are now known as a first year student.

Why hand out homework, if they end up doing it wrong?
    The answer is not practice. I was never going to say it was practice. I'll answer to it with an example.

When I first came to the US, I had no clue what anything was, and where anything was. It was a completely different/alien world to me, coming from a third world country. Every day, me and my brother would start walking around the city I lived in, and around the neighboring cities. We got lost quite often, which was good. The next day we knew where we got lost and how we found our way. Now I know my way around the Eastern part of Massachusetts like the back of my hand. I never learned the names of most streets, but I can sure as hell find my way around them, and get to my destination.

Same principle applies to homework. You go over what you did wrong, and you learn that one of the steps that you took, is not what you think it is, which resulted in the wrong answer. You learn the correct step, and you get the right answer.

"I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work" - Thomas Edison

Peace.

Maybe instead of marking on papers we should just give them an 'A' for turning in the assignment...that way *EVERYONE* feels good!!
    LOL! Sounds like the "Outcome Based Education" crap some of the schools around here are doing. "It's ok that you haven't 'mastered' the lesson yet. You can try taking the test again next week, ok? Oh, and by the way, here's the answers to the ones you got wrong. Yes, I know the test next week will be exactly the same, but I'm sure by then you'll have mastered it."

BUNOL, Spain (Reuters) - Tons of flying tomatoes streaked the streets of Bunol red and left 20,000 visitors wallowing in a pond of pulped fruit as the tiny Spanish town celebrated the world's largest food fight Wednesday.
    You would think that red tomatoes would be considered as "to violent in color for children", and thus only green tomatoes should be used for food fights.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!