Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just got SP2

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

I just got SP2

I just DL'ed SP2 plz pray for me lol... i will keep you posted on how it goes, i will prolly be back on here posting a problem soon lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok.... It was a pretty silly post.... But I'll bite.... I'm like that.... and my sweetie still luvs me.... ahhhhhh.... so sweet....

It seems to me that the major point of SP2 is to increase your security..... Ok, I'm all for that.... But why would you want to upgrade if you are happy with your security and know that it might break some of those nice little "security" tools we both use?

This laptop will not be getting SP2 unless the fixes to the programs I like to use from it are available or, the SP is altered to allow them to work.... which I don't see happening...

"Upgrades" aren't madatory..... while many may feel that having the sleekest new car or the most up to date OS is "where it's at" in some cases it might not be the best place to be... Having said that, I enforced the update to SP2 on my XP clients and I'll deal with the issues, one of which seems to be that having ZoneAlarm running after the upgrade has foxxed a laptop after the upgrade until the ICF was disabled.... Oh well, 5 minutes of my time to put it back to rights with the trusted networks still intact and the other networks that the laptops have to connect to being protected from..... I can live with that.

Your thoughts?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Becase SP2 isn't just increased security, it's affecting levels of security that we can't alter, literally. New Kernel level protection against buffer overflows. New Memory security handling and checking. Multiple support to work together with different processor chips for increased buffer overflow prevention and protection. It is to windows what SELinux (http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/index.cfm) and Grsecurity (http://www.grsecurity.net/) is to Linux. Recompiled common libraries and binaries to take more advantage of newer processor features and thus a slight increase in preformance.

Sure sure, we can still have our own firewalls and virus scanners, as well as a secure browser. But there are core features in any OS that are beyond our control (unless open source and we modify it personally) that require updates and fixes to secure things in a way that we can not under any circumstances prevent or modify manually.

The ICF and bug fixes are only a small peice of what SP2 accomplishes.

edit: Might as well toss these in too. Here are the list of security updates and OS level fixes, which you can see is EXTENSIVE:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...5bLN%5d;811113
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ews/xpsp2.mspx

I've had sp2 installed on my laptop since the RTM version was released. Really, I've not had any problems that I couldn't quickly work out. I'd say the most important thing is to check for updates to all your system utility programs (AV, firewall) before installing. I knew that NAV would have problems, so I used liveupdate to update the core program. Also, my version of ZA pro wasn't compatible with microsoft's "security center" so windows always wanted to bitch at me for not having a firewall (I turned off the windows firewall). I went ahead and updated to 5.1.11 and I've had no problems. I have the security center disabled now (it's a service) because I just don't need it taking up cycles.

I must say, I highly dislike the new windows firewall. There is no program control, so if I got infected by a worm, there would be no way for me to stop it from getting out to other computers. Also, if somehow a trojan got in, it would be able to open a door without me knowing. Also, why would the windows help center need to access the internet? Or windows explorer? So that's why I use ZA.

I've also read that nmap and other network tools no longer work, but I've not tried to use any of them since the update.

Really, I've not used any of the new updates (AFAIK). I've turned off my WAP so I've not played with the new wireless wizard. Also, I use Firefox so I've not used the new version of IE.

In summary, check for updates, be ready to play around with stuff for 15 mins, and watch for bigger problems down the road.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

The Iceman Cometh
    Also, why would the windows help center need to access the internet? Or windows explorer?
    Help Center to access online knowledge bases when you do a search. Windows explorer because you can technically use it to browse web sites, or FTP sites.

I've also read that nmap and other network tools no longer work
    There's an updated version of nmap available which bypasses the problem (I don't have a link for it handy, though. Just search and you should be able to find it). Most others just have problems with the firewall. Disable the Windows firewall and you're set.

AJ

I got SP2 because i knew that i will prolly be safer with it than without it. now i know that is a micro$oft saying but still i think its better to have it than not too.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

good luck, you damn well will need it

And don't bother telling us when you have it installed, we will notice when you have stopped posting

sp2 limits the amount of outbound uncompleted tcp connections. This effectively kills most port scanners, including old nmap and most p2p applications.

just coz your expecting problems here is the microsoft uninstall guide
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
    \"An eye for an eye and the world would be blind\"
    (I dunno who said this)

sniper0wolf0 told me it was Ghandi Thanks

sp2 limits the amount of outbound uncompleted tcp connections. This effectively kills most port scanners, including old nmap and most p2p applications.
    Here is how to solve that:

1. Download the file I've provided below and extract it to C:\
    2. Reboot into safemode
    3. Open up a command line console and navigate to C:\
    4. Run: EvID4226Patch.exe /L
    5. When it asks for how many connections you want to allow, set it to: 16777214
    (note: Before SP2, maximum connections were unlimited, so that setting (the max) should work just fine)
    6. Confirm that you want to apply the patch.
    7. Reboot.

I've tested it and it seems to do the job, as well as having been tested for viruses, spyware, and other possible exploits. Enjoy!

hey cytex thanx for the uninstall guide, i didnt think about that... well yall have a good one
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted