Thread: Quicktips Buttons......

AO Ancient: Team Leader

Quicktips Buttons......

If you look at an awful lot of threads they are often about the same limited set of problems and they all get a series of replies that are always the same.... For example:-

Q: My homepage has changed and I can't seem to get it back.

A: Download X, Y, and Z. Do this that and then the other....

Now clearly, the answers are here, numerous times but people either chose not to search the site first or do not read the FAQ's. Ok.... That's never going to change....

What we might be able to change though is the amount of time the responders have to spend responding.... There's plenty of tutorials here that are more than adequate to solve each of the "basic" download X, Y and Z problems.

It would be really nice if we could have either a series of buttons or, better yet, a drop down so that rather than have to type the usual "do X, Y and Z" we could select from a "menu" and provides a message something like this:-

================
    Your question is being answered by Tiger Shark by linking you to a procedure that has proven successful in most cases where the symptoms provided by you exist. Please click on the link here to be taken to the procedure. Please follow the steps and report back the results whether they are positive or not so that AntiOnline can adjust the procedure if necessary. If the procedure is unsuccessful then more assistance will be forthcoming.

For other members please note that there should be no reason to respond to this message unless you have some specific insight not covered in the link until the original poster has responded.

================

Or words to that effect......

I think this would be a really useful "service". It would save some "burnout" for the regular users in that they don't have to type the same thing almost daily, it will produce a very fine-tuned "tutorial", (someone would have to be able to edit the originals somehow), for each particular situation and would present the "answers" to many questions in a professional fashion.

I don't know if it should be available to all users and it should probably restricted to one "auto-answer" per thread.... But I think it might be a good idea....

Thoughts?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I made this checklist : http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=259702
    for the same reasons. It seemed like 30% of the threads on the front page would have to go through those steps for initial malware fixes. After that, the real thinking and troubleshooting happens.

We all know how effective stickies are...

But what if we integrated all the stickies into a dropdown menu / navigation system, on maybe the main page? Example in the process...

It would call for more stickies regarding common topics like homepage hijacks, I'd be happy to gather common threads together into a sticky for hijacks and malware and whatever.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Soda:

But that still requires action on the part of the OP. Many of them still won't bother. I'm trying to make it easier on our end. Rather then type out the same basic answer for the 55th time we can just send an accurate, specific "canned" response to clear the normal trash and then if there is more to be done then the OP can come back with some more specifics.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides