Thread: Local Time

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar

Local Time

i dont know wether its just me or is it the local time is out by over an hour. my GMT is +8 hours, and currently its 12:21 and local time is showing it as 13:10 (give or take a few minutes)

when i changed my GMT to +7 hours it showed correct time, still out by several minutes ... but at least not by an hour...

anyone else get the same problem?? or havent you guys notice yet?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Banned
    You posted this at 23:13 my time. Since I'm GMT -6, GMT time at the time of your posting was 05:13. If you say it was 12:21 at time of posting, that means you're in GMT +7, not GMT +8...

You sure about being in GMT +8?
    If you are, moving West-bound should fix your problem

lol, negative... :P

yes, im very positive i am GMT+8, at least i hope i am :P

haha, no... im from Perth, Australia which is GMT+8 so there is a problem with the Local Time??

[edit] It says it was posted here at 04:16pm its now 03:26pm... go figure [/edit]
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

It's because of day light savings time... We American's have that weird little sucker... And it is on AO... I'm not sure how to make it not recognize DST but I'm sure there is a way.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

We don't have a setting for use/don't use DST. With the number of non-American users we have, I'm surprised this bug hasn't been mentioned more often. It should be noted that this only effects your display. Timestamps are all calculated from server time, not from your own time settings.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

mnstrgrl,

when is this going to be fixed?

at least its out in the open now...
    - Albert Einstein

A bit of research turns up the fact that it's not just 'we Americans'... see this page for international DST info.

Since this is the first complaint I've heard about it, it must not be a problem for most users. Given all the exceptions and different dates for the start/end of DST worldwide, the solution would be rather complex. I'm not going to make any changes to our time display functions at this time.

- h

ok, just an update as ive noticed, its not only the 'this was posted at such-time' but in every 'timed' area.....

every clock or timestamp is incorrect by +50 minutes......

any suggestions??
    - Albert Einstein

All times on the site are calculated using the same function, which is why you see the time discrepancy everywhere a time is shown. That function does not make use of the various schemes for DST around the world. As I've explained above, I have no plans at this time to change this behavior.

As for you seeing times as +50 minutes, I'd guess that our server time is -10 minutes from your clock, and our DST-adjusted time is +1 hour from your current time. Make sense?

- h