Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Network Security

Question About Network Security

ok, in our office we just got a 4 computer network.
    know, my question is: why in the name of what is sacred.
    is the guy who install the network does not whant to put a firewall or a antivirus.....every time i ask he tells me is not very inportant!..does any of you please tell me what can it be the reason for this??? thank you, for your time.

Tell the guys he's a ****ing dumbass, reffer him to this website and we'll tell him he's a dumbass, then go ahead and install a firewall and AV yourself.
    O.G at A.O

Do you mean software firewalls on each computer? Because that really isn't important if you have a firewall on the router. But AV is pretty important on all the machines. It's still a good idea to at least use the windows firewall on the machines.

Hey he may not be too dumb. You figure the computers could be unplugged from the power outlet, all the removable media drives may have been removed, a keyboard was not included in the set up, and the ps/2 ports and the usb ports have been soldered shut. Now then I don't think it would be very important to have an AV or Firewall.

If the guy installed AV and Firewall protection on your network's perimeter, dont worry too much. If not, you are probably dealing with an inexperienced consultant. Im fairly certain that option 'b' is most likely the case and you are better off investing your money in someone with more experience.

*edit...never considered that this could be a completely isolated environment...which would make the guy basically correct*

reasons:

a) without a firewall and an a/v you cant survice 20 minutes on internet
    b) same as a
    c) same as b
    d) if you use e-mail ( i bet that you use outlook) you can get a lot of malware and destroy all usefull data on your hard disk.

but:
    i) you dont have a internet/external connection (inclunding thru network) AND
    ii) your computers doesnt have floppy, cd or usb connections and
    iii) you have no way to bring any file to your network

so you dont need an a/v nor a firewall
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    heh..sounds like my former schools admin., but worse. He left the admin tools right out in the open! And he wondered why **** was happening. Some people that small time companies hire are only graduates of computer 101 classes! But not all. But if it the situation is like soda said:
    Because that really isn't important if you have a firewall on the router.
    Then no problem. It could be that he just thinks your a lamer that watches CNN too much and does want to tell you anything.

Okay, all bullshit aside -- the guy either meant something else or he's an unqualified consultant. You should always have a firewall (whether tis be software or hardware, such as a router) and an A/V software system setup on every system in your network.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Lightbulb

YEP! THIS GUY IS A NUT CASE.THANK YOU

SO, WHAT IS THE BEST SECURITY SOFTWARE AND FIREWALL FOR NETWORKS???
    AND AGAING THANK'S FOR YOUR HELP.