Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting webserver password

You want the password for a webserver:

-Brute Force:
    Guess a Billion times by using a program or by teetering away yourself

-Social Engineering:
    If you can convince the ISP or Host that you are the host of the site, they might be able to help you in someway...

-Keylogger:
    Put a keylogger on the users machine and have the logs sent to you

-Watch those packets:
    Get to the head of his/her network and set up a program that catches all the packets (ethereal, windump, tcpdump) however this may not work if they SSH or use any secure login.

-Ask the person:
    Pretend you are someone you are not and ask the webmaster for his info. Maybe you are his DNS server host and you are working for tech support

-Find an exploit of some sort:
    Then you don't need a password

Regardless if you have good intentions or not, this is an information site that provides information. If you were to ask a college professor this same question in class, I am sure that they would answer it instead of giving you a lecture about "That's not where you need to stick your nose"
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Regardless if you have good intentions or not, this is an information site that provides information. If you were to ask a college professor this same question in class, I am sure that they would answer it instead of giving you a lecture about "That's not where you need to stick your nose"
    Yes, the professor would tell you, but you have to estabilish some sort of trust with the professor for him/her to give you that information...for example be that professor's student.

If you walk up to any professor in any college, and you blantantly ask "How do I get the password of a web server" Most likely they'll tell you to piss off especially if you are 14 years old

If I or any other long time member would have asked the same question, we would have most likely gotten a better answer...don't tell me you're surprised
    Thats just the way the cookie crumbles

don't tell me you're surprised
    , how long have you been saving that one?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

But even with good standing before asking a question:

If I go to an Auto mechanic and say "My car won't Run" I would expect to be asked a question or 5.. even if I were to give the mechanic a $50 note.. the result would be almost the same.. save he may be tempted to give me some very generalised information.. Even the example of the College professor.. you and he/her have to have a level of communication before a broad questeion is asked.. that is.. if you are in a conversation with some friends and a anothe friend walks up and joins the conversation.. you ask a question.. do you expect this person to be with you in the conversation well enough to .. first know what it is you are talking about.. then to even answer the question with any level of sensiabilty save a very general answer..

and realy Lansing_Banda all you gave was a general answer.. it may have been helpful ..but then it could have been a long winded www.google.com answer.. .. the please reply was useless.. A lot of getting information from other people is about trust and PROVIDING Sufficient information in the Question.. in other words ASK SMART QUESTIONS..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

regardless of the critics i got here
    i would like to say that i like to keep my threads and replies as simple as possible

second of all : not because i'm a 14 year old kid you should ignore me!!!
    man, look to the future -- i know programming in several languages -- i know how to CGI --
    i know a bit about security -- i know how to learn about how computer systems work

man, i won't be going to college untill 4 years at least,

so give me a break man!!!!

and yeh Cybr1d

i totaly support the american peaple to get rid of BUCH :

CLICK ME - Kerry Does NOT flip flop or LIE! Bush Misleaded our country- CLICK ME

you're right

and yeh Cybr1d

i totaly support the american peaple to get rid of BUCH :

CLICK ME - Kerry Does NOT flip flop or LIE! Bush Misleaded our country- CLICK ME

you're right
    Err....Did you click? LOL

regardless of the critics i got here
    i would like to say that i like to keep my threads and replies as simple as possible
    Then you wont be getting far. Just because you're 14, doesn't mean you can't put some thought into the question....there's plenty of young members here who can come up with at least a half assed decent question. How long are you going to be using "I'm only 14 give me a break"??? The "awww, he's only 14" **** aint gonna fly here.

second of all : not because i'm a 14 year old kid you should ignore me!!!
    man, look to the future -- i know programming in several languages -- i know how to CGI --
    i know a bit about security -- i know how to learn about how computer systems work
    No1 is ignoring you.....as you might have noticed, I have responded to your threads....? LOL...er ok, I am looking at the future....what am I looking for? Good job, you know all that stuff, now you need to know how to ask a question.

Asking a question on 'AO' is kind of like going to a doctor or to a veternarian. The doctor needs a lot of information, and the vet need a lot of probing (because his patients can't talk).

Since it would be impossible for any of use to do alot of physical probing, it would be better if you didn't act like a dog, and to be a human instead.

Provide any information needed. And it sure doesn't matter how old you are......if you are talking to adults, try not to throw temper tantrums, they will get you no where.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Guys, for adult we have to be responsible of whatever we post or teach. I think Lansing_banda have taught him too much. You dont want to give information to wrong person that go around doing wrong things and tell the rest "Ohhh, Lansing_Banda taught me that and i dont know it is illegal".

That's why i support cybrid, dont give any suggestion/ information unless his intension is clear.
    Good information may bring him into jail and regret for the rest of his life.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    it doesnt matter either way...

You dont want to give information to wrong person that go around doing wrong things and tell the rest "Ohhh, Lansing_Banda taught me that and i dont know it is illegal".
    oh, such and such said i could drive without a license... i didnt know it was illegall... whos fault is it???

it doesnt matter. its more of a morallity thing at AO. we COULD give out information knowing its for illegal purposes and take ZERO responsibilty, but we dont because its immoral and unethical.... and we just like to make sure before we do

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein