Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem involving wireless

Problem involving wireless

Im not braging or anything just letting you know of my experince so explaining to me wont be like "click start menu" sorta thing.... I have taken a 2 year course for my CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Assosiate) (spelling?) and for some reason every once in a while I lose connection with my wireless router.... I will go from FULL connection (bassed on the bars) to nothing and I can not connect, its not listed in the wireless networks... im right next to the router and I still cant... wtf?

i disabled the wepkey and added it and did the hz to a higher number... i mean wtf? Its a linksys??

tell me somethings to try....? this happens to both the g and b wireless for my laptops AND my pci card for my desktop...

Interferance?

As most of the Wlan equipment work in the 2.4GHz band.. interfering equipment could include..

Microwave Oven (lovely source of wideband RF in the 2.4Ghz band)
    Some Cordless phones (some are in the same Freq assignment as the WLAN system)
    Some Mobile phones (third harmonic of the mobile phone assignment, in some countries, land in the midle of the WLAN assignment.. and while the power level may drop the noise bandwidth increases so more WLAN channels are affected)
    Security systems, Radar motion detectors..

Get a hold of Netstumbler and give it a run.. monitor the AP/router for a while .. see how the signals fare especialy when the netwok drops..

Cheers

BTW; I am by no means an expert with WLAN.. But 20years as a radio tech wasn't for nothing.. I will conceed that there are members here that would be far more familure with WLAN probs than I..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

did you tried using another channel?? this might solve your problem....

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Just a thought....

It's quite possible that the WAP is demonstrating an intermittent failure. ANd that's one of those issues that is a real pain to "prove".
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

JAsoN74185

I’ve gone the Linksys Wireless Router Route as well and I know of two scenarios when we loose the connection.

The first, I live near a multi-band radio station of sorts, dooooooh!

And second, when we shut-off or reboot the puters with the wireless adapters, sometimes I have to enable the SSID on the router for a short period of time until the adapters locate the router and then select the router on the adapter’s menu. Otherwise the computers just sit there searching and don’t automatically find the router. After they find it and the bars are good, of course I go back in the router and secure the SSID. You don’t want that thing saying “Here’s a wireless and my name is xyz! Won’t you come and mess with me?”

Anyway, hope that helps.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Well I thought bout the interfernce because the first time it happened is when my mom picked up the phone... but It would happen all the time when nothing would be in use.. and would stop working for hours at a time... and only at night, when no one is up or using anything.
    First i thought it was my ISP but then I thought bout it... it wouldnt lose connection to the router if it was the ISP DUH then I kept on thinking and thinking... so I thought maybe it was the WEP Key causeing some lag, making it send it everyonce in a while and if it didnt send it in time it would drop the connection so I tried it with it and without.....

Btw security isnt an issue... IDC if someone pulls into my drive way and tries to use it... I wish they wouldnt.. cause ever since I used the wepkey and the other secuirty features is when this started... but it may not be that
    Here are my settings;

BASIC WIRELESS SETTINGS

Wireless Network Mode: Mixed
    Wireless Network Name (SSID): Linksys
    Wireless Channel:11 - 2.462GHz
    Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enabled

WIRELESS SECURITY

Security Mode:WEP
    Default Transmit Key: 1
    WEP Encryption: 64 bits 10 hex digits
    Passphrase: hello
    Key 1: CCE55C5C21

WIRELESS MAC FILTER

Wireless MAC Filter: Disable

ADVANCED WIRELESS SETTINGS

Authentication Type: Auto
    Basic Rate: Default
    Transmission Rate:Auto
    CTS Protection Mode: Disable
    Frame Burst: Disable
    Beacon Interval: 100 Milliseconds
    DTIM Interval: 1
    Fragmentation Threshold: 2346
    RTS Threshold: 2347

NOW lets see what can be done

JAsoN74185

Our setup is almost identical except for the wireless channel assignment.

Mine: 6- 2.442GHz

Yours: 11 - 2.462GHz

And I see a difference in the freq assignment to your channel 11. It should read 2.467 vice 2.462

2.462 is for channel 10. If you set the router to channel 11 and it's actually 2.462 (10's) and you set the the adapters for 11-2.467, could be a problem because they are so darn close. If you are getting excellent signal then it is possible, since there is only a .005 difference in freq (+ or - mfg's error), and since the adapter and router are physically in close proximity, it could allow connection occasionally and not during other times.

Just pop another channel on 'em all and check their freq.

of course unless it's a typo on your post.....

cheers

well the thing is its not a typeo its actually ONLY what i can select... its not like I typed in freq. I can only select it from a drop down box... so the only way I could be wrong is if linksys did it wrong with my router....

Wireless Channel: 1 - 2.412GHz 2 - 2.417GHz 3 - 2.422GHz 4 - 2.427GHz 5 - 2.432GHz 6 - 2.437GHz 7 - 2.442GHz 8 - 2.447GHz 9 - 2.452GHz 10 - 2.457GHz 11 - 2.462GHz

those are my options

Sorry for the double post didnt feel like clicking edit

Just need to make sure that the router and the adapters are all on the same freq, regardless of the channel designation. Look in setup for the adapters and see if they give a freq and not just a channel. If it only provides a channel try channel 10 on one of the adapters to see what happens.