Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Hacking with a Gameboy DS/Sony PSP

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Mobile Hacking with a Gameboy DS/Sony PSP

Both of the upcoming handheld gaming rigs from Nintendo (Gameboy DS)and Sony (PSP) will have wi-fi built in. Wonder what the chances will be of developing Wardriving and Pen-test tools for them? I know they take measures to keep users from running their own code on the normal consoles (unless you chip your box), but I wonder how hard they will make it on the upcoming mobiles?

Custom User
    I don't know a lot about "modding" consoles, but I would think that the size of these mobile game systems would put off quite a lot of people. I mean, all but the enthusiast won't be bothered cause it'll probably be really fiddly work.

But then again, I could be completely wrong, so I apologise in advance for posting without any real knowledge :P

ac

I too know not alot about modding consoles, however being this is wireless could make it interesting. I'm definitely interested though in the possible exploits/bugs in it and am looking forward to seeing what develops (for instance, XBox had it's share of "hacks").
    Space For Rent.. =]

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    wifi on gameboys, awesome! I wonder if netstubler will come out with a prog? lol but I don't know alot about moding but a friend of mine has a xbox with a 200gb hd and is able to burn the games onto it, music, and emulators! PS2s are harder to mod cause sony decided to make their own special ****(HD and so on).I would see a possiblity but what are the avantages of wardriving with game syss? Formatting or somthing like spoofing? umm.

Quite frankly and for some strange reason, I find it unethical as a technology/security lover to "modd" any Console Gaming system (or even mobile gaming for that matter). I dunno what it is with me, but it feel's somewhat "black-hat'ish?"
    Space For Rent.. =]

I would almost be willing to bet these two devices will run on their own frequency, so hacking them will be much more difficult...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    ... I find it unethical...
    yes maybe. But isn't their something else that drives "someone" to push something to the limit? Like a "motor head" that likes to cram out more horsepower or whatever in their car,etc. Just thoughts.

Game boys can now run Unix.

What do you think is going to happen when these things hit the market?

I think, depending on available memory, and if ppl see it may be worth while, you will see little mods or hacks for these devices also. Most likely they will be hardware hacks unless these devices run the windows or other handheld operating systems. If they do run an operating system i can see a replacement being created as in xbox. As for modding a console after you buy it, i dont see anything black hat about it. Once something is payed for and you own it, you can smash it with a hammer or mod it to hell because it is now owned by you. I dont see something this small storring games as in the xbox though. But of course i havnt looked at how it runs yet.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by The Grunt
    I would almost be willing to bet these two devices will run on their own frequency, so hacking them will be much more difficult...
    But then the would not be true 802.11B (or G) and would not work with folks APs, which I'm pretty sure they are ment to.