Thread: Palladium Changed!

Palladium Changed!

http://www.theserverside.net/news/th...hread_id=28613

Pallidum is going to have some changes for the good side... I still wish they would just do away with it all together...

I really wish they would get rid of TCPA... But I don't see that happening.. All I can see in it's future is problems...

I will dig a little bit and see if I can find some more information on this, as this link doesn't give details...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    i heard about a year or 2 back now about palladium when longhorn for first heard of.... is it true (at least this is what i heard back then) that if you installed software which windows didnt like, it would remove it from the system WITHOUT your permission...

has this still around or been removed, it may just be a rumour......
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

Nope. Not true. It wouldn't INSTALL in the first place. If any program didn't have a license from M$, it would not run. Licenses are set to run about $1000, so as you can guess, you can say ta ta to OSS and free software on Longhorn if they keep stuff the same... What I am hoping for is that the license will be determined by the price of the product, so free software would get their licenses for very cheap or none at all, and Adobe would have to pay $15,000 or so to license one of their $500 programs. Seems logical to me. Hell, might help software prices go down
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    but the free programs couldnt afford licenses..... (possibly)

well, is it likely there will be a way around this eventually?? as there always is.......

i think i will be staying with xp for a while longer
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

I haven't looked into palladium recently, but, I remember back when it first made online news coverage. The basic goal of palladium initially was to create a reliable and trusted mechanism for data exchange between computers, primarily for the business side of things. It also provided an avenue for court orders on possession of certain types of files to be enforced. Palladium has some great ideas behind it that would greatly help online businesses, some chip makers, and M$. However, there is little the consumer has to gain from palladium. In fact, palladium pretty much destroys privacy and security. What's amusing to me is that there's a trusted entity worked into the palladium scheme. Who is the trusted entity? M$? The government? I sure as hell don't trust either of them to do anything with my computer.

IMO palladium is a way for large companies that are supporting it to gain a solid place in the market and to monopolize on the consumers. The sad thing is, most people are far too ignorant to even comprehend what palladium means for them. They couldn't care less about who makes what they use or how it works or whether or not there are better possibilities. From what I've read about palladium, I don't believe it's even constitutional to begin with. If it ever does materialize, I'm sure the EFF will have a lot to say about it.

My only concern is that with such large corporations involved, and with such dumbass politicians involved, we're setting up to have some serious problems. With the DMCA, INDUCE act (renamed something like IICA i think), Patriot Act, and whatever new legislation that supports palladium implementation, it'll practically be illegal to own a computer as we define it today. The computers of the future aren't going to be the kind we've dreamed of, they're going to be sorely encumbered, under-performing, DRM locked boxes. I only hope that something gets moving to stop this trend.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.