Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telecom forum

Telecom forum

I think it would be really cool if there was a telecommunications secuirty fourm here. Many orginizations have secure computers, but their PBX and VoiceMail systems are open to attack. General phone technical info would also be welcome. Just an idea..
    10 PRINT\"Home\"
    20 PRINT \"Sweet\"
    30 GOTO 10

I don't think there is enough of an audience to make a forum just for telecom hold up.. 2 years from now when VoIP is 4x more popular than it is now, probably. But for now I would say it fits fine into misc security discussions.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Banned
    Greetings All:

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    I don't think there is enough of an audience to make a forum just for telecom hold up.. 2 years from now when VoIP is 4x more popular than it is now, probably.
    Personally, I think the time to start up a forum is BEFORE something becomes popular, and it's discussed on a million other websites. If you're one of the first sites to discuss a topic, your content will already be entrenched into the search engines and the minds of your users by the time everyone else is playing catch up.

AT&T's recent launch of its CallVantage VOIP Service will probably push security issues related to VOIP into the homes of average users before you know it.

How long before we see hackers coming up with wiretaps for these devices? Or targeted denial-of-service against user's home phones? Or VOIP Voice Spam?

I think the time to launch such a forum is BEFORE such incidents occur.

hmm. I didn't think of it from that perspective...

Sounds like a good idea I guess, when you look at it like that... It's OBVIOUS that it will be gaining popularity soon... Well it has my vote.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Its an area that I know little to nothing about, so I would be glad to be able to learn more about the security aspects of it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I think the time to launch such a forum is BEFORE such incidents occur.
    Never a truer word said.

The ability to secure something begins with a knowledge of how it works. Bearing in the cost savings companies will be offered by using VoIP it will probably take off quite quickly... Whan you boss comes to you and says "BTW, we're doing VoIP and you're in charge" it would be a whole lot nicer to be able ot say "NP, have you considered this, that and the other"...

I'd be all for it if it doesn't turn into a phreaking forum......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO French Antique News Whore
    A forum about Voip is good.. As long that it doesn't turn into a phreaking forum......

By the way JP, very good point your bring up here!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Depends on how you define phreaking. I'm a "White-hat" type phreak. I just look for interesting phone numbers and stuff, I don't steal.
    10 PRINT\"Home\"
    20 PRINT \"Sweet\"
    30 GOTO 10

Depends on how you define phreaking. I'm a "White-hat" type phreak. I just look for interesting phone numbers and stuff, I don't steal.
    Funny... I call that using the yellow-pages and maybe if ya buy enought cards you can become a poke'mon master aswell. Well this whole conversation looks as if it has potential.

I'm a "White-hat" type phreak.
    Time for me to re-read the definition of Phreaking.. but I thought it was : illegal.. there is no white hat.. just Black and Blacker..

I just look for interesting phone numbers and stuff,
    I take it your not talking about looking in phone books here.. the fact that your reading a contacts list that is not your own, that is not on a regular public accessable system. makes you BLACK..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr