Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Boot Problem

Windows Boot Problem

Ok, havent been here for a while, but i need some help. When i start up my computer, it says that Windows was unable to open \windows\system32\config\system , and then it advises me to start the recovery console. So i start it, but then what do i do to fix it? please help, my parents will kill me if i have ot bring it in to be repaired again

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    What operating system? I know windows but which one? Windows 98, 2000, XP?

Oh, sorry...Its windows XP
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20859867.html

Scroll down for replies:

Here's Microsofts How To Fix It article !

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

Here's a quote:

# At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default
    # Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
    O.G at A.O

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi

If you still have the XP CD with you.......... what i would suggest is you do a repair Install ................it should take care of the problem without loosing any data ..................i have never tried the recovery consol myself

--Good Luck--

ok, i tried copyright's suggestion, and when i typed in md tmp it said "Acess is Denied"....any other suggestions before i just do a repair install.

Hoopy Frood
    Try SwordFish_13's suggestion since you were unable to do ©opy®ight's. I had to do this once myself, but I don't remember exactly how it's done. It should just reinstall the Windows XP side of your Windows and not mess with your personal files. You will need to rerun the Windows Updates, though, afterward, I do believe. Good luck, man.

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Or just do a fresh install, but when it comes to the Format screen, choose "Leave the current system intact", and then it will asky ou wat folder you want the windows directory to be, you can press "L" i think to overwrite the current Windows folder, it won't delete anything else !
    O.G at A.O

be careful tho, if you do a reinstall it could wipe your registry and then you not only have to do hotfixes again, but also have to reinstall all your applications AND redo any settings that are stored in the registry...

when you logged into the recovery console did you use "administrator"?? if not then that is why you got the error -- also try mkdir rather than md (for some odd reason it works more than md)
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I seriously dont suggest doing a fresh install it can be very messy
    what i suggest you do is find the spesific file thats screwing you up and then to goot a friend's house and bgrab the file from that computer then manually copy it over then it SHOULD work

But your using windows so i dont know what to expect :| the link for you is
    www.slackware.org