Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sp2, Yes Or No ?

AO French Antique News Whore
    You can install SP2 without SP1... I did a customizes CD where I took Windows XP i386 folder and copy it on my hard drive.. Then I install SP2 directly on the i386 folder with the command 'XPSP2.EXE /integrate:X:\i386'
    -Simon \"SDK\"

well i ve a problem in sp 2, when ever i conect to inter net the sp 2 tryies to connect to the net and updates it self automatically , i don'yt want this to happpen ( i use a a dial up) i ve tried all in my might but i cannot stop it , any ideas guys.

yourdeadin: Is your machine connecting to the Windows Update page? If it is, then disable automatic updates.
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

;TT said
    Installing SP2 over SP1 is the only possible way to install SP2
    then
    Mm.. maybe not, but AFAIK when it came out, SP1 was a prerequisite
    I too recall seeing something on one of the M$ pages that indicated that SP1 was required which confused me, but that’s easy to do ( no, the page does not appear to be active right now )

To reenforce what Irongeek started, from List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 811113 )
    Service packs are cumulative. This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs. For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). You do not have to install an earlier service pack before you install Windows XP SP2.
    Only problem I had so far was one computer with Zone Alarm and PC-cillin PC-cillin Internet Security . When latest PC-cillin was installed it did not like ZA 5.0 and would not co-exist, so ZA 4.5 was in use. ZA 4.5 does not do well with SP2. But true to form, ZA came out with 5.1.011 which seems to do well with both ( firewalls turned off of both XP and Pc-Cillin to use ZA on this particular machine )
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    hey im a home user running SP2 on XP pro and so far i havent had any problems at all... ( surprisingly!) so that is just my 2 cents worth.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

XP SP2 went fine... I carry it around on a "512 meg Stick"
    Also you do not need SP1 to install it on a box....
    I have done about 40 of them.... so far only problem
    has been some issues when doing it remotly,
    nothing that could not be delt with........
    So far SP2 boxes have almost 40 megs
    of additional updates... I wish they would added it in
    to the SP2 package.....
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

I would recommend installing sp2. Ive installed it. It wiped out a few things i had installed like Style XP, But im sure if i wanted to i could just install it again. Also the Firewall feature is pretty nice. And it comes with a new windows media player.

Cheers
    Kryptonic

AOs Resident Troll
    I just updated another machine were the lan fax driver reboot an xp pro machine.
    ( my first XP crash to the point of a spontanious reboot )

Lan Fax vendor has an new driver.....

Updated the driver and all is good.

I have seen this with previous MS OSes and new SPs

Knocks out other apps and devices

I can usually fix them by reinstalling the app, driver, both, vendor and MS hotfixes...

Its all good...keeps me working

Thanks MS

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

SP2 pretty much only updates the firewall and adds a pop up blocker. Be careful though, Ive heard if you dont have a legitimate copy of XP, it can lock you out of your own system.

AOs Resident Troll
    Tenny

From the last MS Security couse I attended they were saying that the XP SP2 was going to replace most of the .dll files....
    I believe due to the MS Office Suite update also which "guards" against the new jpg flaw
    which in turn need to work with the OS

Correct me if I am wrong

This would be more then just the firewall and pop up blocker...
    IMHO

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer