Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first website

My first website

I am a freshmen in college majoring in computer science (going for something in security) but wanted to make some money on the side so i decided to start designing webpages. This is my first one ever and its for a smaller company but it gets the job done. Any constructive critisism?? Its not completely finished yet, i am adding pictures and some more information.

Anyone have anything to suggest to make this better please let me know

http://medwaytool.7p.com

Banned
    Well I'm new to web design as well (http://www.twin-turbo.info is my latest work) so I'll give you a basic run down:

- Make your own theme, that is a Microsoft Frontpage theme and it looks tacky to say the least.
    - Use a simplicity (that site is but is the background image necessary?).
    - Use the Amazon theory, think of everything you add to your site in terms of whether or not Amazon would add it to their site. (Learned that from a design book. =P)
    - I don't really like the text colors, purple seems... ugh? =P

Those are pretty much my constructive comments, if you need some help, drop me a PM, I'll be glad to point out anything else I can think of.

the background looks like a writing pad .... as mentioned its not the best to look at ... i do however like simplistic designs when i create a website too ... I am a big fan of the white background

However yours may be a little to simple .. maybe a nice .gif banner or something at the top to capture our attention ..

definately needs something more in terms of the way it looks

It is a good start tho

thanks anything else?

fyrewall: I like the white background as well. You can work in so many directions from there that it helps new web designers as well as experienced ones alike.

aura2: Not bad for a FIRST site. Remember that folks, he said it's his FIRST website. So it's not all THAT bad because I know my first wasn't anything special neither. In any sense, I wouldn't go with Microsoft FrontPage if I were you. Learn HTML, it'll help you better then from there you can simply use wordpad/notepad/microsoft word.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Even better still you could use the Macromedia suit of products .. they are expensive tho if your going to own them legitimately.

Instead of frontpage try out dreamweaver. Its not a bad start though. Much better than my first site. Although I never used frontpage. Try learning some html though and doing then that way. Its alot better...well in my opinon it is.

kryptonic

http://www.programmingtutorials.com/

you will be able to find a html tutorial there .. infact any programming language there .....
    also dreamweaver etc is available at www.macromedia.com if you dont already know

i would suggest that u use flash , it is quite new and easy to design ,if you are new to flash try swish flash. but once you get to know it it is a breeze. now a days internet connectins are getting fast and more and more people are using flash animation so plz consider flash

yeh flash is nice but it depends really on what the website is for .. there are times when i enjoy watching an awesome flash site but most of the time i prefer that it isnt flash and that the website is just simple and easy to navigate .. then again it depends what sort of site you are trying to create as to how design it and what to design it with