Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: negging a thread

Banned
    ministar.. muenster...monaster... It could be MonsterGrill, too.

Computer Forensics
    mnstrgrl you the man..er mnstr!

So let me get this clarified.

if I neg a person in a thread, does it now affect the overall thread health?
    If I neg a person in a thread, and the thread itself, how does that affect the thread health?
    Is the thread basically a person now and if enough people neg the thread, it gets "banned"(closed)?
    Can we test this out in a garbage thread somewhere?

I'm just trying to figure out where the balance of power is in the antipoints as it relates to threads.

Thanks for applying this change!
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    Correct me if I'm wrong...

if I neg a person in a thread, does it now affect the overall thread health?
    The thread health ("The AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is Currently: ... ") is now a combination of the two:
    - The AntiPoints assigned to users/posts.
    - The AntiPoints assigned to the thread itself.

So the answer is "yes".

If I neg a person in a thread, and the thread itself, how does that affect the thread health?
    It would be like negging two different users/posts in that thread. The thread health would probably become "extremely negative".

Is the thread basically a person now and if enough people neg the thread, it gets "banned"(closed)?
    Yes.

Can we test this out in a garbage thread somewhere?
    I created this thread to test it out...

Edit: Also, you can neg your own thread... just a fyi before people ask the question

Yep it works.... , someone might want to go in and bring it back down a bit....lol

cheers

edit: that's like punching yourself in the snot locker...just don't upset your wives though, they can take your prized threads right out.
    Connection refused, try again later.

Think I found an oopsy.

I clicked on the link to assign APs to the thread to see how it looked, but didn't assign any. That was a while ago, and I was thinking now of trying it out, and when I clicked on the link to open it up and assign points to this thread, it said I can't do it more than once.

I checked and made sure, and looked at who gave APs to the thread, and I'm not there, so now I'm sure I haven't. I know I closed it but I thought maybe it did it by itself and gave APs from me just by opening it, but It hasn't done either.

So it might work, but if you don't assign APs the first time you click on the link, you can't at all.

The behavior of APs assigned to users has not changed, and will still effect the health of a thread. The purpose of this new option is to allow you to assign APs to a thread without having to smack a user at the same time.

And, for the curious, mnstrgrl = monster girl

Edit: I fixed the bug that gore pointed out. It wasn't that you had simply opened the AP window that caused the "same post" error message. It was that you had already assigned points to a user in this thread. Now you'll be able to do both, assign to a user in the thread and assign to the thread itself. I think that's the way this should work. If you guys disagree, let me know.

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.

Monster as in..... You like Horror? Or you work for Monster.com?

I'd like everyone to remember this new feature you all seem to love the next time people start bitching that the mods and JUP don't care about this place when whoever it may be starts a thread bitching about AO.

Think back to this, and think back to every other time someone asked for a new feature that was something everyone liked, and how in 20 minutes they had it ready for us. Just remember it the next time before you open another thread saying JUP are dick heads.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    And, for the curious, mnstrgrl = monster girl
    Is it just me that finds that kind of "unflattering"?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I see a small problem. The point of assigning antipoints to a thread is to be able to kill the thread without necessarily killing the poster or negging good posters. How many times does a thread start out on a constructive or informative note...only to steadily decline after the thread goes way off topic, becomes hijacked, etc? If big-hitters give the thread positive points....then later if/when the thread goes to hell we won't be able to "correct" the thread with enough negative points to kill it (since, obviously, you can't assign points twice to the same thread). Then we will be back to the same old way (of some users) giving negative assignments to undeserving people just to kill the thread.

It might be more beneficial, and less complicated, to just be able to negatively assign points to a thread. Now that we can scale our positive points we really don't have a reason we would not want to give positive points to a deserving person, no? And those positive points would still be reflected as the thread being positive as well.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

The name came from a joke with a friend a long time ago, related to a Godzilla movie. So it's not related to horror exactly (but I do love a good horror movie).

Whether the name is unflattering, or apt, or just silly depends how well you know me and on what kind of a day you catch me on

- h
    I'm not mean. You're just a sissy.