Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Antipoints - Part II

Confused about Antipoints - Part II

Since we have had quite a few changes to the Antipoints system, I will try to bring my original post up to date.

User Tends To Assign bar correction
    This bar used to show that a new user tended to assign only very negative. It was corrected and now, for the new user, shows balenced directly in the middle, untill the user gains approx 50 positive antipoints themselves and their assignment actually give points. Then it will show the pecentage of positive and negative antipoints assigned in a graph form.

Antipoint Message in Your Account, on the main index page
    This will say that you have 'no new antipoint' or You have receive new antipoints. When it tells you that you have received new antipoints, this will be underlined and is a link directly to your antipoint center so you can see what you have received.

Thread Antipoints
    A new feature we have just received is:
    The Overall AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is: extremely positive
    Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Thread | View AntiPoint Assignments Made to This Thread
    This function allows you to be able to assign antipoints to the thread itself and not effect the status of any member. This is set up so members can close (or hold open) a thread that they feel is not worthy of staying open, and not having to neg any member to make it go suicidal. The negatives and/or positives only effect the thread itself and not any of the posters to that thread. It does show in the antipoints given section of your Antipoint Center as points assigned to a thread.

Variable Assignment of Points
    Another new feature is the variable antipoints power scale:
    What do you think of XXXXX's post?
    I approve
    I disapprove

Adjustment: *

100% 75% 50% 25%

Your comments on this post:
    This provides a method of assigning less points, either positive or negative to any post. This is an important feature for 'Seniors' with massive antipoints to be able to adjust the impact of their assignment.
    Example - If I think you have made a bad post, but I don't wish to neg you with the full power of my accumulated antipoints, then I can use the 25% function and hit you with only 25% of the negs I could have given you.

I hope this helps some of the questions I have been seeing on the changes that have been made to our Antipoint System.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Re: Confused about Antipoints - Part II

Originally posted here by moxnix
    Thread Antipoints
    A new feature we have just received is:
    This function allows you to be able to assign antipoints to the thread itself and not effect the status of any member. This is set up so members can close (or hold open) a thread that they feel is not worthy of staying open, and not having to neg any member to make it go suicidal. The negatives and/or positives only effect the thread itself and not any of the posters to that thread. It does show in the antipoints given section of your Antipoint Center as points assigned to a thread. [/B]
    Pimp....I didn't even notice!!

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    One note about the new thread antipoint system. Since the points you put on a thread count towards your balance, could you not antipoint “extremely positive” threads to balance your self out with out effecting (pissing off) other users? Since the values of your point assingments depends on your balance this may need to be changed. I just tested this by neging some of my own threads and It seems to be the case, I’m closer to balanced now. Should we be concerned about it being abused in this way?

BANNED
    I think that's part of the reason it was implemented. It keeps people from just randomly negging newbies to get balanced.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    So now they can get balance anytime they want, which makes it kind of pointless to have balance at all.

I had thought about putting in a section on the balence part, but decided against it since the message about balencing has been removed (or so I believe).
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Hah!!! I knew I was missing something when I used to get that, "pain in the ass", message. So if I'm supposed to be balanced, does that mean I need to go through and read EVERYONE'S post to see if I can neg it?

"So now they can get balance anytime they want, which makes it kind of pointless to have balance at all." Balance is always key, you don't want to harm yourself with being a glutton of any type....but in the case of this site? I ignored the message when I got it, and I will continue to ignore....that isn't to say I don't give negs. I'd rather look for the good posts in the few good threads.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I'm new here and chances are I've already pissed off someone who's read my posts because I like to speak my mind and even though I don't intend to offend anyone I eventually do. And even though I'm probably going to get negged to death for saying so...I'm going to say what I think anyways ! I'm not going to censor my veiws in order to avoid being ostrasized...and to me that is what your point system amounts to " censorship ". Anyone who doesn't follow the forum line and says exactly what he means puts his status as a member at risk and it is that very threat that is going to make some people wary of speaking the way they want to.

Now I could see how this might work if it were restricted to offensive posts where there is name calling or vulgar language that might be offensive to female members or where someone is on a rant...but to negg someone for simply stating his veiws is " censorship" at it's worst.

I haven't assigned any points to anyone and I haven't checked mine...because I simply don't care about points. If I appreciate someone's help I'll publically say so...not in some secret message that only the recipient can see...and if I don't like what someone says I'll respond publically with that too.

I realize that this seems a standard among forums but it's an extremely unfair system...case in point...at one forum where I am a member I have more reputation points than most members and even one staff member and I've only been at that site three mths...why?...because, like here, the point stucture is uneven...all it takes is to get one person to drop alot of points on you all at once and all of a sudden you've got more points than someone who's been around two years longer than you have.

I don't know if these systems are part of the template or where they come from because every forum seems to have a version of the same thing..but it seems to me as smart as you guys are you could come up with something alot better than this.

Because in my opinion...if I'm allowed to have one...this system is for the birds !!!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Egaladeist:
    The site has AP's ...

Live with it.

Also this is a 'sticky' thread, so it might have been better to have linked to it.

As for your opinion, it is yours, no one will take it away, and there are people here who NEVER follow the forum line, and they are STILL here.

AP's were introduced, as far as I can tell, to allow the membership to 'self-police' the forum, to try and contain / quash flame wars [although I've seen AP's CAUSE a few ] they have their faults, but they are here AND now.

And also, I have added to a 'sticky' when I SHOULD have linked........................
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Yes Egaladeist you are new here and it shows.
    It shows you haven't even attempted to look at the FAQ's and see just what our antipoint system is all about.
    It shows that you haven't made a search or even skimmed the many many threads and posts discussing the changing of the system and/or even the doing away with it completely.
    It shows that you are whinning about someone giving you negs for something or other.

Do you always join a forum group and immeadiately attempt to have it changed just to suit you better?

Do you think your opinion really matters to any of us at all? Hell, we don't know you from the dog down the street. Stick around a while and gain respect in a more normal way, and then your 'opinions' might mean something to the other members.

You registered:
    four (4) days ago and already are trying to change the system. I think perhaps you need to gain a little maturity before thinking of yourself as the all knowing, only answer to the major problems of the world.
    Author Unknown