Thread: DVD drive

********** |ceWriterguy

DVD drive

Hokay, I was working on my lil legacy machine yesterday and decided it'd be a cool thing to put a dvd player onboard. Nothing fancy, no write capabilities, just a straight up dvd drive. I go down to the local mom&pop and buy a used dvd drive (off a compaq, oh well, it was cheap) for near nothing. I bring 'er home, hook 'er in, and she reads cd's wonderfully. Drive spins up, is recognized by the machine, everything works, drivers set up nicely in add hardware. So I get frisky - try an actual DVD in the bloody thing.

Now, understand please that I've never had one of these before so don't laugh too freakin hard, but the occasional chuckle is permitted...

Machine installs a lil dvd viewer off the dvd I stuck in. Ok, that's cool.

I run the lil dvd viewer and get told that either a - my resolution is set too high, or b - I need a decoder.

Ok, I set the resolution down to it's smallest setting with 16bit colors instead of 32. No luck.

I try WinMediaplayer since it's never failed me. No luck.

I tried hunting for better drivers online. No luck.

I guess I got what I paid for - I can't seem to find a (fo free) dvd decoder up online anywhere. Anyone know of one they can point me at?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

First thing to do is browse the cd/dvd that came with the kit. Everything should be on there, including a decoder.

You might try this link:

http://www.search.com/search/free_dvd_decoder.html

Cheers

EDIT:

I take it you are using 640x480?

If you are ruinning some flavor of Windows you can try looking here

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...ard_mpeg2.html

********** |ceWriterguy
    no cd with the kit. just the drive, ripped out of an old box. I'll give the links a shot tho, thanks.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

********** |ceWriterguy
    New_U, I owe ya. Thanks muchly and enjoy the few greenies I can give. Your link led directly to the download I needed, and it worked right out the box. Cheers!