Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Computer does not boot

New Computer does not boot

I just purchased a P4 3.2GHz 1MB HT Chip and an ASUS P4P800S mobo as well as 1GB stick of DDR 3200 400MHZ RAM. Here is the problem, the computer boots up and after about 9 seconds it powers off. No beeps, it just powers off. I have unplugged everything from the mobo except the CPU & RAM & it still does the same thing. I have tried a diff stick of compatable RAM and it still does the same thing. I have also tried a diff power supply, still no luck. So I figure it's either an issue with the mobo or the CPU, I don't have extra's of either so I can't swap em out to verify. The mobo (and me) are grounded and the CPU fan is plugged in and spinning, I also verified it is seated properly. I don't really want to return them as I purchased online VIA newegg and that is a hassle. Does anyone have some troubleshooting I can try, maybe I'm missing something?
    Linux: because rebooting is for adding new hardware

Have a look in the BIOS and see if it has a monitoring section. It sounds to me a little like your CPU is getting overheated. I am of course assuming you have the proper settings as far as your FSB and multipliers go...(if you are overclocking, try setting it slower and see if that helps).
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I'm not getting any display on the monitor so I cant get into the BIOS. I have the CPU fan plugged in and it's spinning. I have the FSB and the multiplers set exactly to 3.2GHZ, not overclocking.

I assume there are jumpers and/or dip switches located on the mobo to set these up? Most new generation mobos are auto sensing now days.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

it has the option for auto or manual, it doesn't work on either setting, currently it's back to auto

Try unplugging everything, the hard drives, floppy, cdrom, and any cards you have installed, except the video of course. Restart the computer and see if you can get video then. What kind of video are you using, and do you have a spare video card just in case?
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

isnt it the effect of C.O.P (cpu overheating protection) as mencioned?

you posted that cpu fan is spinning. but is it connected to the correct "fan" connector at Mobo? you must connect it on "cpu fan" or C.O.P. will turn PC off. Also verify if "monitor pin" on fan conector is not damaged (and on mobo too). if mobo can see cpu fan, it will shut pc down

cooler may be wrong positioned and, still with fan, cpu is overheating and shutdown. if u have a temp meter, try to put it between cooler and cpu to take a look at temperature.

do a "clear cmos" if you arent tried yet.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Originally posted here by cacosapo
    isnt it the effect of C.O.P (cpu overheating protection) as mencioned?

you posted that cpu fan is spinning. but is it connected to the correct "fan" connector at Mobo? you must connect it on "cpu fan" or C.O.P. will turn PC off. Also verify if "monitor pin" on fan conector is not damaged (and on mobo too). if mobo can see cpu fan, it will shut pc down

cooler may be wrong positioned and, still with fan, cpu is overheating and shutdown. if u have a temp meter, try to put it between cooler and cpu to take a look at temperature.

do a "clear cmos" if you arent tried yet.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, although from what Ihave seen the protection is usually derived from the temperature of the CPU and not so much whether or not the fan is working (although if it isn't working, it won't take long for it to overheat ). I suspect that the cooler is probably not properly attached, but I agree with the earlier post:

keyboard, mouse, video card, memory, and cpu only. Try that, do you get video?

If you can't get video, you are literally flying blind...(sometimes the beeps do help, but not every problem has the resultant beep, for example, on my asus mb, overheated cpu will result in immediate system shutdown, no beeps, no warning).
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I have seen the protection is usually derived from the temperature of the CPU and not so much whether or not the fan is working (although if it isn't working, it won't take long for it to overheat
    need to look at this board, but usually mobo also monitor cpu fan (for amd at least) - if fan stops, mobo power off quicky - isnt necessary to cpu starting overheating.

If you can't get video, you are literally flying blind...(sometimes the beeps do help
    usually video and cpu problem has a "beep". weird. is the case speaker conected on mobo?
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I'd strip the machine first - mobo, memory, processor, hd only first - if it's a temp issue the prob will still occur, but it eliminates almost everything else. CPU probs usually cause a beep even from cop.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!