Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Make a Password Cracking Cluster

dammit. my burner is horrible. so assuming i get it to burn me a cd tonight...ill give you guys the results within a week or two.
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

too bad on the burner...

Looks like I can't do it for Win NT due to server upgrade that I might do.. so till then...

Shugart
    You call that a firewall !

/me thinks what the disciplinary actions would be for trying to do this with as many computers on the Univ network as possible...

Maybe if I come in one night... I like how for you P3's are older computers... and I'm thinking of building some old-ass P1's and P2's for distcc [distributed compiling for Gentoo].

The best I can do is that plus my P4 laptop and a P4 desktop... I'll see if I can get my Linux password[s] cracked below 24 hours [last I tried on just the laptop after a day JtR was pretty far from getting it...]
    /\\

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Yep, Hypronix, I know the feeling, clustering P1 boxes...

i just wanted to put this link here,

http://www.blackaltar.org/beowulf/index.html
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Blast From the Past
    how exactly does this work?...do you only need one computer with clusterKNOPPIX or all of them that you plan on clustering
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

You need to boot all of the nodes with ClusterKnoppix. This automatically creates an OpenMosix cluster. You only have to start the password cracker on one node but you run it will several instances. The other nodes in the cluster will see that one node has too many processor intensive programs running and they will autmatically lessesn the burden by migrating the extra processes over to themselves.

The other nodes in the cluster will see that one node has too many processor intensive programs running and they will autmatically lessesn the burden by migrating the extra processes over to themselves.
    geez if only ppl were like this...

NeuTron thanks for your tutorial.. it is great to see the interest it has raised.. gotta play with another clustering os...

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Blast From the Past
    so what your saying is that a 50 node cluster needs 50 copies of clusterknoppix.....its gonna be a LONG night.....is their a way to get bios to boot off a network copy?....similiar to how linux can install from a network
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Just wondering... I have 3 systems with Red Hat 8.0 installed on each of them (along with WinXP, through dual boot); and I am thinking to permentaly install a cluster on the RH boxes, so I don't have to make or boot from a CD each time I want to use the cluster. That said, what tool that is very close or equivelant to ClusterKnoppix can I use and install it on the Redhat nodes ?? (I used Knoppix 3.6 itelf, very cool OS)

And also: Can the PWD cracker program mentioned be used for other applications or usages, for testing purposes of course, such as the self decrypting PGP program, and the like ? What can it be applied to other than SAM files ? Thanks for any feedback.