Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying External HardDisk

Buying External HardDisk

This is my first time going to buy an external harddisk. Can any tell me which brand is better in term of reliability and price?

Personlly, I like the maxor one touch backup drives. You can mount them under Windows or Linux.
    They come in a range of sizes and they connect via usb. (2.0)

You can use the software that comes with the drive for the one touch backup. (which is extremely useful) or you can use it as a stand alone drive and just use it to store files... or you can use it as both!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...MP=OTC-FROOGLE

Thats the one I have and it works great. I originally got it for data recovery (EnCase) but have used it for a bunch of things. Backup of my server, move files from one machine to another, trading mp3 files with friends, etc.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Does the maxor drive powered by just the USB?

Old Fart
    Personally I prefer the multi-functionality of my Archos MP3 player/USB 20GB HDD. www.archos.com for features, www.pricewatch.com for the beast deals. Pricewatch would also serve as a good starting point when looking for ANY type of drive.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Originally posted here by Falcon21
    Does the maxor drive powered by just the USB?
    No, it comes with an external power souce.

allenb1963: That is a good idea, but for many, 20gb just isn't enough now a days.
    I've chewed up about 300gigs just on my home server not to mention 150gigs on my workstation.
    But thats just me. I like to archive all my music and I use plenty of space backing up my dvds.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Old Fart
    hehehehehehe...they've got 80 gig models too....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Is there any portable hdd that is powered by usb? It is not convenient for me to use the external power source for hdd as I sometime work with my pc and sometime on laptop...

Just Another Geek
    I can definitely recommend the Maxtor OneTouch. But as phish already noted it uses an external powersupply.

I bought the 300Gig version as a backup/scratch disk for my laptop. It has a firewire400 and an usb2.0 interface. Connected to usb2.0 it is slightly faster then the firewire.

It has a really sturdy housing, which is great if you lug it around alot.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

i think this will be interesting for you falcon21, if you didn't buy still the external hard disk. While i was in Paris i bought PCdirect and find an artical: External 2,5" disk.
    They were using a box: CREMAX ICY DOCK and a hdd 2,5' Seagate Momentus.
    The hdd is a normal internal hdd. you put it in the box and you have external hdd, which is using USB 2.0 and don't need another source of electricity. If the USB is not able to give enough electricity, than there is a second USB that you can use at the same moment so you have enough supply of electricity.
    this way using a box and normal internal hdd you can save 75 euro.
    I personally bought a box for 3.5" hdd. The hdd that i have is 20Gb IBM. So i have external hdd 20GB, it is working exelent and i saved money.
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

I recently brought a Prestigio portable drive like what you said, powered by USB and has a another USB cable if the power not enough. It is thin and light. The one I brought is 40GB capacity and comes in the range from 30 to 60 GB.