Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: why people grumble in changing to linux

Originally posted here by hypronix
    If other distros/OSes don't publish their flaws, it doesn't mean they don't exist, just that it might be somebody else that's gonna find'em and use'em, and that person might not e-mail you about the problem.

[edit]

Even if the x86 is a supported architecture, which means a GLSA would not be released until a patch is available... and why is it precisely that you find Gentoo to be responsible for these problems?

[/edit]
    Slackware doesn't use Xfree86, they use X.org, and SUSE has custom again as I've stated. Which is why SUSE has so many custom X Managers that some distros don't have. X-Splash is a sort of GUI that I've only seen on SUSE. It's pretty much an XTerm as a UI but it's GUI and too be honest, it's awesome. The SUSE team says its a pointless application for fun but I like it.

And would you blame SUSE for a hole in IE? No because SUSE didn't make it, but Gentoo coded an already existing application too make it work faster with Gentoo over say, Mandrake.

One thing behind other Linux types is they all have their own way they think a Linux distro should look, feel, and act, and what packages it should come with, and how they should be configured. RedHat comes with a different style Apache 2 than SUSE does, Mandrake comes with a difefrent Emacs than what SUSE and Slackware do, and Gentoo comes with a different way of doing things.... Actually no, they stole most of their ideas, but they put a different name on them.

SUSE comes with applications you don't get with anything, and Slackware comes with things differently than others too. It's a "Distribution". The packages are put together how someone thinks you may want it. That is the point of a distro.

I was referring to x86 architecture, my bad if I was too cryptic. As per the security page at Gentoo, it is considered a supported architecture and bugs are released through GLSA when a fix is available. Looking at one of the examples you gave [xpdf/koffice] the problem was with the original program developers.

I realize that packages are different... that's why my kernel has gentoo-specific patches to it, and other apps too. But most of the stuff on Gentoo is original source [just like you can't find everything you would possibly need as a package in FC or Deb] so problems exist.
    /\\

If Linux is really that hard maybe you should try out something more simple? Like this:

http://www.oldcomputers.net/ads/polymorphic.jpg
    well gore you got me all wrong, i din't say i don' like linux or linix was hard, i just said the installtion packs of linux are not as easy when compared to windows. i tried a couple of linux distros and (according to me) i found the installition of windows a lot easier .

yes linux is a better OS and has an edge or windows , but still if was a as good as windows in installition , there would be many more takers in the HOME PC SEGMENT
    plz don't get me wrong and make fun of me.

linux is better OS and has an edge or windows
    Through simplicity. Good thing Poo isn't here.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    Through simplicity. Good thing Poo isn't here.
    Well I'm not so happy he decided to leave, although I did have 'run-ins' with him based on OS comparisons and whatnot, that guy knew a lot... don't even see him in IRC anymore...
    /\\

Originally posted here by yourdeadin
    well gore you got me all wrong, i din't say i don' like linux or linix was hard, i just said the installtion packs of linux are not as easy when compared to windows. i tried a couple of linux distros and (according to me) i found the installition of windows a lot easier .

yes linux is a better OS and has an edge or windows , but still if was a as good as windows in installition , there would be many more takers in the HOME PC SEGMENT
    plz don't get me wrong and make fun of me.
    Surely this was the whole point of this thread ??

Most variants of linux are not simple to instal for your average home user.
    On the other hand, a WinXP instal asks almost no questions, and just gets on with it.

We could be into flame wars here, but I would question whether WinXP SP2 is significantly less secure than most of the linux distros out there for your normal home user ...

Obviously you need to add things like an AV scanner, but the WinXP SP2 firewall is very good.
    Also, Windows is far easier to use than linux, so it still does have the edge when it comes to desktop software ....

Originally posted here by darkes
    Surely this was the whole point of this thread ??
    Most variants of linux are not simple to instal for your average home user.
    On the other hand, a WinXP instal asks almost no questions, and just gets on with it.
    Your "average home user" NEVER installs their operating system. Those that do will have to answer just as many questions on XP as they do on a Linux install if they opt for a "default/full" install. Linux isn't more difficult just because it offers choice and control over what gets installed IMO, it's simply different.

We could be into flame wars here, but I would question whether WinXP SP2 is significantly less secure than most of the linux distros out there for your normal home user
    To compare SP2 to "most linux distros" is an inaccurate guage of security for several reasons. In similar configurations of both OSes WinXP will probably (just based on Windows' historical track record) turn out to be less secure, but no empirical testing has been done yet I don't think.

Obviously you need to add things like an AV scanner, but the WinXP SP2 firewall is very good.
    No, it isn't. Comparatively to other firewalls out there, it's an acceptable input filtering firewall, but lacks many of the output controls.

Also, Windows is far easier to use than linux, so it still does have the edge when it comes to desktop software ....
    Far easier to use? I think not. Again, that's a subjective measure.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Heh, another security flaw in Gentoo Linux. It is Monday so I guess they took the weekend off? PPP needs updating Gentoo whores

Almost forgot, I'm doing a test right now:

I installed Free BSD 4.10, and every package it comes with, and when it was done, I started doing a total update. I'm updating All ports and packages from SOURCE from the Internet. It is downloading them, compiling them, and installing them. So far I'm almost at 4 hours. Last time this took maybe 6 hours total time. So why would Gentoo take 4 days for the same thing? Just going too see how long it takes exactly and see how much Faster Free BSD is than Gentoo.

Last night it took 13 hours too update EVERY PACKAGE on Free BSD 4.10, and I had installed EVERY package, and it took 13 hours too install, compile, and install all new packages from source. This machine isn't top of the line but it can do that in 13 hours. It was a fresh install of Free BSD 4.10, and I upgraded EVERYTHING in the way Gentoo installs. so why is it only 13 hours on Free BSD, yet it's a few days on Gentoo?

Oh, and by the way, two more security flaws for Gentoo They took the Weekend off, there was one yesterday, and two more today! Buahahahahahahahaha.

Ohhhh the one is a format string problem rated as HIGH. LOL good job Gentoo Security team! You guys have more bugs than an exterminator!

I bet you Gentoo users get a lot of practice in for updates. I mean **** there is one there EVERY DAY!