Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody interested in starting a project here ??

Question Anybody interested in starting a project here ??

Hi All,

I just got an idea which i thought might be different from general query posting and than replies.

Anybody interested to start any kinda project here on this forum ?

Pls suggest any small project and we will start here. Anybody can start it and we will make a team. we will post the source code and everybody will modify/improve the same source code which will ultimately become a project.

This will be happening live and hence i think many newbies visiting here will get an oppurtunity to learn many things about programming.

pls post in ur suggestions.

Intruder.
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

Anybody interested to start any kinda project here on this forum ?
    Yes i am interested .........but i got other commitments so i don't know how much time i could devote to it...........but i can give it a try.

Pls suggest any small project and we will start here. Anybody can start it and we will make a team. .
    So you are suggesting we suggest a project and we all move on to working on it independently and then post the source who ever makes it ?....................or a modular approch where we distribute smaller modules of the project to diferent people and they make that one and then combine the whole thing?

and what is the skill set required?..............which language you suggestion it in?

--Good Luck--

Banned
    h3r3tic and I already tried making making a project but due to 'complications' it never got done all the way... we're discussing restarting the project but no clue yet.

It was an instant messaging program coded in Java.

yeah its a good idea, we could give this a try. I am interested in this too. BUt frankly telling ya I am not a programming nerd... But surely i can put whatever I can from my exp in Lecturing IT subject for the last couple of years.
    Do suggest some topic so that we can start at the earliest

Hey swordfish,
    I think that will be a good idea that we divide modules among us. But for that we need people on similar skill sets.

Well i have got a good working experience on C, C++, VC++ on embedded side.
    Also can do it if its MFC.

so now u suggest what we should take up.

What i think is we shud first decide what project we will do ? than on the basis of that we can decide the skill sets and languages.

and than we can collect people on similar skill sets and make a team.

what do you say swordfish ?

Thanks gaurav for ur interest, it will definately help us.

In.

Keeping The Balance CybertecOne's Avatar
    Registers Interest

The only problem i can see is a 'competition' forming, and if eveyone can improve on others source codes, then you would just make the original creater feel smaller. Thus after many turns ending in a flame war......

There is no point in many different programmers submitting work of the same use, unless it WAS a competition and 1 of them will be selected. It would work much better if different programmers aimed at different things. of course that is dependant on the size of the project as that is proportional to the amount of programmers needed or even have a use.

The best idea would be a small game like... a flying thing that you control to get through hoops or around obsticles... (youve all seen them) and from there different people can add different things and improve... this goes for graphics to colour to the way it moves.

a small game allows for creativity and of course, lots of different preverable versions virtually customised.

CTO

CTO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi,

The only problem i can see is a 'competition' forming, and if eveyone can improve on others source codes, then you would just make the original creater feel smaller. Thus after many turns ending in a flame war......
    I would be least conserned about this though.............i don't think it's going to reach to such proportions that someone actually would want to start flames for that .

It would work much better if different programmers aimed at different things. of course that is dependant on the size of the project as that is proportional to the amount of programmers needed or even have a use.
    Agreed..........No point in all working on the same thing ........rather dividing the work would be more appropriate

The best idea would be a small game like..
    hmmm sounds interesting............ More Ideas

I am still trying to figure out something that can be modularisd easily and is small enough ....i am brain dead right now .....

intruder you got any Ideas?

--Good Luck--

Hi,

i agree with swordfish on this point, i will be least bothered if somebody improves my code. on the other side it will be a chance for me to learn something.

The best idea would be a small game like... a flying thing that you control to get through hoops or around obsticles... (youve all seen them) and from there different people can add different things and improve... this goes for graphics to colour to the way it moves.

a small game allows for creativity and of course, lots of different preverable versions virtually customised.
    Well as far as the above point goes .. i agree that it will be interesting but Graphics and games is not so common domain and hence everybody will not have much idea as to how to go about it. Like everybody knows to play a computer game but very less people know how to code it.

e.g. myself .. i don't know how to start a game code as i have never came across one.

But keeping in mind that AO is the place related to security and stuff like that, how about thinking something like a simple keylogger in VC++ or any other language or a portscanner or may be any other tool which is used for things related to hacking or security ??

I think that way we will get a chance to practically look into the working of these piece of softwares.
    Till now many of us have just downloaded these softwares and blindly used but never went inside and thought how exactly its coded and what can be the logic used.

Well this was just a suggestion from my side.

Any other suggestions .. welcomed.

In

Elite Hacker
    Originally posted here by ;TT
    h3r3tic and I already tried making making a project but due to 'complications' it never got done all the way... we're discussing restarting the project but no clue yet.

It was an instant messaging program coded in Java.

Yeah, I think we need to restart from scratch. The instant messaging stuff is screwed up, and it's too easy to screw up the server simply by using telnet as a client. Other than that it's good :P. Let's do something.

Banned
    hey u all guys i m interested in this project! i know although my anti-points are not much but i hav a gr8 experience in programming kinda things so whenever u start do inform me about it!