Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NMAP 3.75 Released..

not *wrong* - but if it doesn't work as good as the command line version (or at all in this case) what's the point? If you want a graphical front-end for nmap, write one...
    Okay, first off the entire point is that someone may still prefer gui functionality to a command line. End of story, based on per-user preference, and out of your area to decide for everyone.

Second, I never said I wanted a graphical front-end. Not once. I was defending the person on this thread (who was negged for it) that enjoyed the GUI moreso than the command line. It isn't a matter of difficulty, it isn't a matter of "omfgwtfbbq which is better?!". It's a matter of what each user prefers the most. Firefox can't pipe pages directly to a text file or preform per-page searching for pipe cataloging and grepping, so should we say Firefox isn't as "good" as lynx? Hell no. You enjoy Firefox, some enjoy lynx regardless of the differences in functionality.

Let sleeping dogs lie and let others enjoy a gui if they want, without someone breathing down their neck.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

There is no problem if the end result of the GUI and the command line is the same (or even smiliar) the point people here are trying to make is THE GUI IS OUT OF DATE AND DOES NOT FUCTION WELL anymore. You just dont get that. If the guy wants to see the GUI we gave him the info for it. If he wants something that actually works then he shouldnt waste his time with the GUI BECASUE IT DOES NOT WORK!

This would be liike comparing A nice new up to dat linux distro with Windows 3.1 Sure 3.1 will fuction and is a GUI, but its a piece of crap compared to a new linux distro which is CL based.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

the point people here are trying to make is THE GUI IS OUT OF DATE AND DOES NOT FUCTION WELL anymore. You just dont get that. If the guy wants to see the GUI we gave him the info for it. If he wants something that actually works then he shouldnt waste his time with the GUI BECASUE IT DOES NOT WORK!
    We all understand that and find it obvious, yet again. No one here has complained that there isn't a GUI for nmap. No one here has ranted on about the 'need' for a gui. Not a single person. We've had one person who was dissapointed about it, but that's it. Ever since then it has been people complaining OMFGWTFBBQcmd4eva because I'm reminding ONE person that they shouldn't place bias' upon either the gui or command line. Let people enjoy what they want to enjoy, even if that means limited functionality. No one here has expressed a amazing love for gui over the command line. What started it was a command line elitist that couldn't understand why people would want to use a gui instead of a simple command+extensions.

And that's it. It isn't any more difficult or complicated to understand than someone screaming 'cmd4eva' and me defending the right for people to choose their own interface depending upon what they enjoy the most as people who can think for themselves.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

guardian alpha...

Okay, first off the entire point is that someone may still prefer gui functionality to a command line. End of story, based on per-user preference, and out of your area to decide for everyone.
    Perhaps I'm not getting my point across. There *isn't* a functional graphical frontend for nmap right now. I'm not deciding for everyone. It's a simple fact. "End of story."

I was defending the person on this thread (who was negged for it) that enjoyed the GUI moreso than the command line.
    I didn't neg him for it... but the fact remains - there *isn't* a functional GUI for nmap.

Let sleeping dogs lie and let others enjoy a gui if they want, without someone breathing down their neck.
    I wasn't breathing down anyone's neck - hell, I wouldn't mind having a graphical front-end for nmap myself - as a matter of fact, I think I'll start working on one. But the command-line works fine - princesheril said he was curious as to what the GUI looked like. Well, it looks fine, but it DOESN'T WORK. Simple enough?

-Wiski
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

I'm not referring to you nor to the nmap interface I'm referring to gui use in general and to this person's post. Should have quoted to pinpoint it more

What's the big deal about command line?

It ain't that complicated.

SuSEbox: /home/d0pp139an93r #nmap -P0 -T5 -O -v -sV 127.0.0.1

For ****s sake.... If I can remember that stuff, anyone can.
    No one give's a rat's ass how well you can remember command line. No one said command line was complicated. But don't assume that because you have all-power memory for command line means people can't still use GUI-based applications regardless of what you think they should or should not be able to do. Let people decide on gui versus command line use EVEN if that means using an older version of nmap with the outdated version of it's gui.
    - Charles Darwin

Originally posted here by guardian alpha
    I'm not referring to you nor to the nmap interface I'm referring to gui use in general and to this person's post. Should have quoted to pinpoint it more

No one give's a rat's ass how well you can remember command line. No one said command line was complicated. But don't assume that because you have all-power memory for command line means people can't still use GUI-based applications regardless of what you think they should or should not be able to do. Let people decide on gui versus command line use EVEN if that means using an older version of nmap with the outdated version of it's gui.
    So, lets see here, you are arguing and negging two other members other than the one you are directing your arguments to? Sorry, but just give it up. You lost. No more typing. All of you. NMap doesn't have a working GUI, we all know this, GUI's don't mean you're a lamer, we all know this. Let's all STFU and have a shot or 2, as that requires you to be an ADULT!
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

calm down alpha, this should be a friendly message board. Everyone is expressing their opinion, you dont need to swear at people or about peoples posts. And if you do you should mark it hidden so it doesnt offend anyone. This type of action could get you banned

EDIT** Takes shots as recommended by above.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

OMG! I really do wonder how this site can manage without the meaningful insights of dizzome...............hell's teeth!!! I await his next contribution with bated breath.

Now, to dizzome's botmeister twot:

Sort it out kid, and do it fast!...............that reply is to a thread 8 years old..................

Hang on, I shall do it for you, your piece of crap has been spamming several threads so now it is time it died.

It's clear there are different preferences between GUI and command line interfaces. Have you personally encountered situations where the choice between GUI and command line made a significant impact on your work or productivity? Additionally, do you believe there's a need for improved GUI options in certain tools to cater to diverse user preferences?

Banned
    Calm down, everyone should express their opinions respectfully on this friendly message board. How do you believe the choice between GUI and command line interfaces impacts the effectiveness of communication and collaboration among users?

You know what, it seems there's a heated exchange here about GUI and command line interfaces. Can you share your thoughts on the balance between these interfaces and how it affects the user experience, particularly in terms of productivity and ease of use?