Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More than a TB of RAM

More than a TB of RAM

This is mainly just a big **** you too the people on IRC from AntiOnline who laughed at me and made fun of me when I said there was an OS that could in fact use 1 TB of RAM or more:

What are the limits for memory?

The limit is 4 gigabytes on a standard i386™ install. Beginning with FreeBSD versions 4.9 and 5.1, more memory can be supported through pae(4). This does require a kernel recompile, with an extra option to enable PAE:

options PAE

FreeBSD/pc98 has a limit of 4 GB memory, and PAE can not be used with it. On FreeBSD/alpha, the limit on memory depends on the type of hardware in use - consult the Alpha Hardware Release Notes for details. Other architectures supported by FreeBSD have much higher theoretical limits on maximum memory (many terabytes).

I got laughed at for saying I saw something with a TB of RAM or something about using that much RAM, and I could not find the damned page where I saw it or which OS, so I of course got made fun of and called a moron and mocked. Well, here it is, straight from the Free BSD FAQ. I'll point out I did NOT say the OS or the machine HAD this much RAM, I simply said it COULD, and got laughed at, hearing "No OS on Earth could even address that much RAM you moron".

don't let them get to you, it is the same thing as when you walked into a store to buy a computer and had the option between a 120mb and 250 mb harddisk, when you would say "the 250mb please", they would say: "why bother, there is NO WAY anyone would ever use so MUCH space on his hdd!".
    and look what we have now

just to say, the people who wrote that specific OS just thought ahead, cause i'm convinced that within 10 years we have many terabytes of RAM!!

Re: More than a TB of RAM

I'll point out I did NOT say the OS or the machine HAD this much RAM, I simply said it COULD, and got laughed at, hearing "No OS on Earth could even address that much RAM you moron".
    hummm, example:

Z/OS CAN address, both virtual AND real, storage with 64-bit addressing, and NOWADAYS you can use RAM with up to 16 exabytes and create a C++ programming using 16 exabytes of virtual storage.

Currently, computers that supports that O.S. are limited to 256 GB of RAM.

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver...f/gm130230.pdf
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Man, if I had a system with a TB of RAM, and like 16 Processors.... I'd soooo play a game of Pong! Heh, I could probably use up a few Gigs of RAM, but with current applications, a TB would be hard too fill with what I have. That's like editing an entire collection of DVDs like all at once while you're checking E-Mail, playing UT 2004 and have like 10 browsers open. I'd still want it though lol.

The IBM Blue Gene /L supposedly will start reaching this high of a rate, but it is going too do more than I do on a computer. And it runs Linux! Thanks guys.

The IBM Blue Gene /L supposedly will start reaching this high of a rate, but it is going too do more than I do on a computer. And it runs Linux! Thanks guys. [/B]
    not just "runs Linux", but runs 64-bits Linux versions
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

This is ludicrous - any 64-bit machine should be able to address way over 1TB of RAM.

So basically, a 1991 vintage DEC Alpha architecture would have theoretically been able to have 1TB RAM if the OS and hardware supported it.

Slarty

THEORETICALLY, everything is possible. In the next few years i'm sure it will happen.
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Well, there are of course limits in implementations. Such as the 4GB limit mentioned with 32bit processors. The processor simply cannot address more RAM than that.

When you consider Windows (32bit) and protected memory...an application can only address up to 2GB (31bits) of RAM. The other 2GB is restricted to Windows. Some versions of Windows has a 3GB switch where apps can use up to 3GB, but I don't have enough $$$ for 3GB of ECC & Registered RAM...

GNU/Linux has its own workarounds, but the 32bit processor won't handle more than 4GB of addressable RAM.

With 64bit, you have a heck of a lot more addressable memory. Which is only one reason why 64bit computing kicks butt. Along with requiring half of the clock time for some operations.

Anyways, memory limits are real things that quite a few people run into. Engineers run into it a lot when graphing some functions in detail and simulating things. You can also run into it when stitching panoramas. You can run into it by playing in PS for long enough. But I don't know much about editing DVD's, aside from working on different scenes at a time that aren't too long seperately. I haven't worked in Premier before, so I'm not sure how those programs use up RAM...

Anyways, over a TB of ram would be nice if I got it for free and won the lottery...

[i]
    Anyways, over a TB of ram would be nice if I got it for free and won the lottery... [/B]
    I would also liketo win the lottery. But i have no chance cause i'm not playing

Originally posted here by Tim_axe
    Well, there are of course limits in implementations. Such as the 4GB limit mentioned with 32bit processors. The processor simply cannot address more RAM than that.

When you consider Windows (32bit) and protected memory...an application can only address up to 2GB (31bits) of RAM. The other 2GB is restricted to Windows. Some versions of Windows has a 3GB switch where apps can use up to 3GB, but I don't have enough $$$ for 3GB of ECC & Registered RAM...
    There are exceptions to this rule. Intel's Pentium line from the P3 on up is capable of addressing 39bits of RAM via PAE (Physical Address Extension).

With 64bit, you have a heck of a lot more addressable memory. Which is only one reason why 64bit computing kicks butt. Along with requiring half of the clock time for some operations.
    Don't forget, with the AMD-64 processors, you have double the registers as well, although it is not true 64bit addressability, it is only 48bit (darn).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?