Thread: Do i need more than a good free antivirus program?

Do i need more than a good free antivirus program?

If i've got a good free antivirus program (AVG) installed with updating done automatically on my personal compter is there really any need to upgrade to an antivirus you have to pay for (e.g. Norton) ?
    -

No. AVG is just as good, if not better than Norton.

Hmm,

The answer to your question is "no" but to your thread title is "yes" (no, I am not a campaign manager for either Mr Bush or Mr Kerry )

1. You need a firewall. ZoneAlarm, Agnitum, Kerio, or whatever.
    2. AdAware SE
    3. Spybot Search & Destroy

Also look at RegistryProt from DiamondCS and WinPatrol from BillP Studios.

And maybe "Winsonar" http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/

My point is that AVs are not very good at Adware/Spyware detection, and they certainly don't stop things "phoning home" or most attempted hacks.

For explanations of the other defensive tools, please check their websites.

NOTE: With your AV, AdAware and SpyBot you should update them (or use the autoupdate features) and run them in SAFE MODE on a regular basis.

Good luck

If Your considering AVG.. get AVG7 beta.. or accept that support for AVG6-free will stop in December of this year..

I don't have the url to the info..will get back wit it later..

AVG 6 I have used reliably for long while whith very few issues.. certainly less than my encounters with NAV or McAfee..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

NOTE: With your AV, AdAware and SpyBot you should update them (or use the autoupdate features) and run them in SAFE MODE on a regular basis.
    Ahh was going to point out that this is key to maintaining an A/V solution that works out to the maximum. Updating your definitions is just as important as running scans and should be done just as much as well.
    Space For Rent.. =]

The Norton ( McAfee, etc.) provides reliable updates. It provides an unmatched support. It scans every file that you deal with. Moreover it has got its benchmark in the AntiVirus business. This means for a sustantially serious work going on in the field, these products are a prerequisite.
    I agree that an individual can get another AVPs available freely, he can get a firewall, filters, etc, but he can't get that peace of mind as he would by purchasing these products.
    Moreover an average guy doing his job on the Comp. does not bother ablout the types of viruses rendering in the background. For him its just another mosquito repeller, which is supposed to prevent his malaria.

I was going to dispute your statement there princesheril.. but I didnt want to start a flame ware or a pissing match. It is best i save my comments for a more approprite thread..
    My advice.. "be careful what you read on the wrappers of software.." it was written by a Marketing person being paid very well by the software publisher.. and many mags get very good advertising revenue when articals are written giving a good report on a product..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well Undies, I am up for it

The Norton ( McAfee, etc.) provides reliable updates
    All AV manufacturers do that, or they would go out of business. Actually Norton have the worst record for updates that cause problems, even their auto-update mechanism has done this .......twice in the last year!

It provides an unmatched support
    By and large anything you pay for gets better support than a free version. Remember that the guys who give free AV also do pay for versions. If it is a bug or a new virus, the support will be identical...........you are doing User Acceptance Testing for free?

Moreover it has got its benchmark in the AntiVirus business
    Totally irrelevant. An AV product is as good as its last scan, its last update, and the last malware it detected. Benchmarks are HISTORY, the battle against malware is NOW.

This means for a sustantially serious work going on in the field, these products are a prerequisite.
    Errr, you don't read EULAs do you...............the free stuff is for private home use. Business, government and education HAVE to pay, or the software is being used illegally From a fuctionality viewpoint it is effectively identical apart from the network/corporate bells and whistles.

but he can't get that peace of mind as he would by purchasing these products.
    Rubbish! that is not peace of mind, it is "a false sense of security". Just because you pay for something does not make it work any better. In most cases the difference between the free product and the commercial one is in its support of networks and centralised management in a corporate environment. What does a home user want with that?

Moreover an average guy doing his job on the Comp. does not bother ablout the types of viruses rendering in the background. For him its just another mosquito repeller, which is supposed to prevent his malaria.
    That is very typical of a work environment..............actually the guy believes that it is his IT Department's job, so does not give it a second thought. If you don't believe me, ask any 12 people who work in a sizeable corporate environment (NOT in IT!) what AV is running on their desktop................

I think you have confused the general direction of the thread..............as we are talking "free" product as an option, it is obviously a home/private scenario, not a commercial/institutional one.

The whole rationale behind this "free" software is that it is a marketing strategy, several of the players prefer dealing with corporate accounts, and give away the private version to get market exposure.

just my £0.02