Thread: AVG 6 Update Feature

Talking AVG 6 Update Feature

OK, this is in response to an older thread of mine...

Regarding AVG free version 6, I was having difficulty using the Update feature....stupid me! I shoulda known that because it was installed as Admin, I need to be logged in as Admin to use this feature! Tried it out the other night (logged in as Administrator), and sure enough, it worked!

My regular account, btw, is a power-user, and yes, it is my own personal machine....

Hope this helps out anyone else who runs into this problem!

I don't use AVG so I wouldn't know... but just an idea. Maybe if you change the permissions on the update utility it will work for user accounts with lower privledges?

You can use the utility filemon and regmon from www.systernals.com to see exactly what files and reg keys it is accessing while doing an update. Then apply the correct ACLs on those files and/or reg keys?

Like I said... just an idea. They might have something about this in the AVG FAQ?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

A new version of AVG is available for download at http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I don't use AVG so I wouldn't know... but just an idea. Maybe if you change the permissions on the update utility it will work for user accounts with lower privledges?

You can use the utility filemon and regmon from www.systernals.com to see exactly what files and reg keys it is accessing while doing an update. Then apply the correct ACLs on those files and/or reg keys?

Like I said... just an idea. They might have something about this in the AVG FAQ?
    A lot of proggies don't seem to cover the win2k & xp multiuser idea exactly 100% right. And the method you describe gives an idea where it goes wrong