Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about TVs and Playstation 2

Question about TVs and Playstation 2

I recently got a new TV, a 20 in. flat screen CRT from panasonic. In the new GTA game, sometimes when moving quickly, I can see the scanlines/interlacing in stuff such as my character or traffic light poles (if anyone knows the basics of how CRT TVs work then this image will make sense).

http://home.comcast.net/~viper2026/interlace.jpg
    the "normal" image is on the left, with what I'm getting on the right (it's only a rough interpretation, but you get the idea)

I'm using the normal RCA cables that come with PS2

I've done some research and found that it this has to do with the de-interlace filter on my TV not being very good, and showing artifacts. I'm going to take this TV back and get a new one, my question is what kind of a TV should I get if it will be primarily for video games and I don't want it to do that nasty interlacing thing?

i believe HDTV's are most recent best ones.....
    O.G at A.O

Maybe I should have said this before, but I'm not looking to spend more than like $250

I am afraid that you get what you pay for, and the TV was designed to watch TV not play games on. My gut feel would be to go for Sony............the logic being that they are in the TV games market, so their equipment is going to be much more likely to give the best performance, and compatibility.

You could also try the GTA and Playstation websites and ask your question in their forums.

I have seen that sort of artefact problem before with CAD systems and some fancy PC games. It is usually that the video card cannot handle it.

As far as I am aware the Playstation is a Sony product, so hitch it up to one of their TVs, that I would say is your best bet.

Good luck

well the Ps2 video is Interlaced .. that is like any normal tv broadcast.. I am not sure it it supports progressive scan as SOME HDTV's do.. so a HDTV is not exactly a solution.

I take it that what your seeing on the screen is:
    On a vertical line.. your getting a jagged line..ie appears that the line is serrated..

ok and you have heard or read that it was an interlacing problem.. well the only time interlacing is a problem is in convertiing interlaced video to DVD/VCD/MPG .. and I am sure that is where you got your example image.

This problem you are seeing could be a fault in the TV, or even in your cabeling.. especially if your useing a low grade (cheep) Coaxial cable (read AV Lead) and this lead is passing over the top of the TV (for that matter if the PS2 is sitting immediatly on top of the TV, or just under).. you could be suffering from interferance from the EHT circuit, causing the pseudo ghosting, and or errored Syncronisation problem..

I can't find pictures of jaggies to give you an example for you to compare

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well first off, I just quick made that image in photoshop to give people an idea of what I'm talking about, but yes, any kind of straight-edge gives me a serrated look when moving quickly. The playstation is on the floor about 3 feet below where the TV is, so I don't think it's an interference problem. And I'm using the normal cables that I got with my PS2 when I purchased it in 2000.

just buy a flat screen monitor for computers, and use it to play PS2....seen a 17in sell for $219

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    just buy a flat screen monitor for computers, and use it to play PS2....seen a 17in sell for $219
    It would look like ****. TV has a resolution of something like 480x320, while a monitor is usually 1024x768, in other words, it gets very very blurry.

Errrrrrrrrrrr no...........

The PC monitor's resolution depends on what it supports, and its video card. I would guess that it would default to the Playstation resolution settings.

Well unless he was talking about something different...we hooked a ps2 up to my friend's tv tuner card, and it looked like this