Thread: html survey code

html survey code

Greetings,

I want to make a survey for my webpage only using html (or java) that will take information that people put in using drop boxes and text boxes and e-mail it to me, however i am not sure where to start...

any ideas??

thanks
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

AFAIK you need to have a server side language installed, such as php or python or perl or asp or whatever. .jsp pages may be able to do it but I have no experience with those.

You would then have to write the form action in the installed language. PHP is pretty easy, IMO.

Re: html survey code

Originally posted here by djscribble
    I want to make a survey for my webpage only using html (or java) that will take information that people put in using drop boxes and text boxes and e-mail it to me, however i am not sure where to start...
    CGI Mailer scripts are generally present on webhost servers, even if that webhost does not offer PHP, JSP, ASP, etc... Check with your host to see if they have such CGIs available.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    Although the best idea would be to use cgi like said before there is another way. You can send information via email. It will probably show up as an attachment-depending on your email service.

Here is are some links to help you with html forms::

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_forms.asp

Below is what you need to send it to your email-
    Code:
    <form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="mailto:youremailhere@email.com">
    When they click send/submit/ whatever their email client will pop up and they will have to sign in to send the data to you. Not the best option if they use something different and IE isn't set to that.

Hope this helps- good luck

kurt

I have the form part done in html with no problems, i used a combination between drop down boxes and text boxes... Some of you mentioned that there is a cgi method available for e-mailing... i did find some examples, however, they are done by something called REBOL...

what is rebol and is it something that i should think about using... also, is there anything better out there??

here is the site that i found:

http://www.reboltech.com/library/script-cgi.html
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

The specific name for the scripts you want is "form mailer"s. http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html < formmail.pl is a very popular one. Check your webhost's documentation, they may have this sort of thing already.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?