Thread: AO Chat

AO Chat

I know that there are IRC channel(s) where AO members hang out, talk etc, but as a college student and as someone who doesnt have broadband at home currently i am unable to chat! It would be nice for AO to have a chat room on the site so when i get stuck with something, or just feel like chatting whilst im at college i can!

Has this been discussed before? (i couldnt find a thread) and does anybody else think this would be a good idea???

any thoughts plz...
    The more you know, the less you understand!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

Well you can always use private messages...........

Bristol eh?...............are you at university there?

no, not uni, i wish! ive started a BTEC nat dip for IT practitioner again as the college where i used to live was poo.

Private messaging isnt anything like having a java chatroom on a website

WTF wheres my signiture??!?!?!
    The more you know, the less you understand!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It has been discussed a few times before. The biggest issue is the headache that often follows with online chats ("But HE SAID <insert insult here>!!!"). I believe that irc.unerror.com has a javachat available for users to use.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: AO Chat

Originally posted here by Konshuss
    I know that there are IRC channel(s) where AO members hang out, talk etc, but as a college student and as someone who doesnt have broadband at home currently i am unable to chat! It would be nice for AO to have a chat room on the site so when i get stuck with something, or just feel like chatting whilst im at college i can!
    Surely the whole purpose of being at college is to gain the knowledge to enable you to solve problems when you get stuck with something, and not simply ask someone in a chat room, or ask your tutor to help. Can't you chat to fellow students in your class?
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Well, in his defense, when I was at college working on my MIS degree, there were times I find you guys here at AO more knowledgable, and I got answers much quicker.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    Well, in his defense, when I was at college working on my MIS degree, there were times I find you guys here at AO more knowledgable, and I got answers much quicker.
    I suppose it depends on the level and area of study, but the whole point is to problem solve, and then when you have tried everything you know and failed, then is the time to seek help, but only from personal experience, I found nothing quicker than having the Prof. on hand to throw questions at
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

********** |ceWriterguy
    <- used to carry a 3.5 floppy with a zip copy of mirc on it to school with him back in his college days...

I leave the rest of that suggestion to your imagination and personal code of ethics.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AO used to have an IRC server and every week some dumb ******* would make a thread about how "so and so is such a bitch for booting me off AO-IRC boo hoo... boo hoo". Bleh so as far as I care, **** it, im glad its gone. Oh, and after your second post on a page your sig doesn't show. Enought said, now get over it...

Re: AO Chat

Originally posted here by Konshuss
    I know that there are IRC channel(s) where AO members hang out, talk etc, but as a college student and as someone who doesnt have broadband at home currently i am unable to chat!
    Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything. Most IRC channels are full of self-opinionated morons, and the AO ones are no exception.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.