Thread: spywareblaster gone bad

spywareblaster gone bad

Ok this is what happened i was updating my spywareblaster and when it started to install the updates my antivirus was alerting me like crazy that a password stealer trojan was being installed do any of you know if it was actualy spyware blaster (the possibilities are slim because there is realy no other why it could of gotten there because i never downloaded any thing for a while except for that and the files where in the spywareblaster directory

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you looked through your processes (say with ProcessExplorer) to see if anything is running? Is it possible that the Spywareblaster itself got compromised? Have you checked at http://housecall.trendmicro.com to see if it pulls up the same response? Which AV are you using and which trojan specifically is it identifying? Have you checked to see if any information is going out of your machine (use a sniffer to see what traffic is going out).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

You AV probably just keyed in on something in the updated definitions, but it would be helpful to know what AV you are running, which version of SpywareBlaster that you have, etc.

Also, your AV should have given you the location of the infected file?? Or did it just say "A file you are attempting to download is infected with...blah, blah, blah."??

I'm rather curious?

Hmmmmmm. You have gotten me worried. I use NAV 2003 w/ 11/23
    defs. My copy of SpywareBlaster is ver 3.2, updated to 11/23.
    I never got any indication that a password stealer was being
    installed when I updated SpywareBlaster. Should I be worried ?

I think it is a false positive. I just downloaded the update, and everything still checks out clean on my system.