Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big brother is watching...

Big brother is watching...

just reading news @ msn.com and i thought you all might want to give this a read. Just curious about your feelings on the subject..

click here

i dont like the sound of it, but then again, im no terrorist, and ive got nothing to hide so why should i care? Well, i still care...

-z3

Re: Big brother is watching...

Originally posted here by z31200n3
    just reading news @ msn.com and i thought you all might want to give this a read. Just curious about your feelings on the subject..

i dont like the sound of it, but then again, im no terrorist, and ive got nothing to hide so why should i care? Well, i still care...

-z3
    Interesting read... I wonder if you could get a bot to spew out stuff that sets off the trigger.

Even if you are not a terrorist now, you should care about your government monitoring you. That is more of a discussion for Cosmos though.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

That's nothing new, just now their announcing it. They've been watching chat rooms for preditors and illegal activity. What I'd like to know is how they're gonna monitor all those Rogue IRC servers, lol, good luck with that.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Dead Man Walking
    Havent you ever heard of carnivore? Same basic principle. It might work on MSN and AOl chat but it would never work on IRC. Servers come and go too fast for that. It would be to easy to avoid detection with an IRC server. Only have the server running at designated times and use stunnel/ssl to encrypt all connections./ Boom instant safe chatting. unless they want to take the time to try and break the encryption on the fly

Just one thing puzzles me....................if these terrorists, drug barons and the like are so stupid................how come we seem to catch so few of them?

just a thought

Ninja Code Monkey
    They are just raising the bar a bit. If they have automation to point out the retards (like the ones that would frequent the old AO irc looking for people to help with their master plans of hacking banks) then they have better coverage without adding alot of overhead (people costs and so on).

It does not stop criminals/terrorists from simply putting up their own server, using crypto, etc.

Making bots spew garbage into the channel to set of their triggers is trivial if you know what type of things set those triggers off. I'm sure there are kids all over the place working on automation to do just that since they heard the government is funding this type of work.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

they're on to us... i'd better report this back to headquarters

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    When will people learn that there is no guarantee of privacy once you hit the public network?

What kind of terrorists, (ok, rephrase, effective terrorists), sit around in chat rooms discussing their dirty deeds?

What kind of LEO really thinks that viable targets for their operation sit in chat rooms laying out their plans for all to see?

Unless you are an _effective_ terrorist why do you care if they might be monitoring chat rooms for your terrorist activity?

Be a law abiding citizen - OK, cheat on your taxes and speed from time to time - and you have nothing to worry about.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Regal Making Handler
    Be a law abiding citizen - OK, cheat on your taxes and speed from time to time - and you have nothing to worry about.......

I'd stilll want an encrypted connection to my lover, if I had one.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hmm. Well, I wonder if that would cover 'DCC' chat. I know that phone line monitoring has been in effect since the 80's. Supposedly anytime you say the word "bomb" or anything of the like it gets logged and someone listen's to it eventually. Maybe its total BS but it is possible by all means. I see that this "technology" could waste lots of FBI and CIA resources. So, some kid gets on mIRC, spouts himself as a terrorist, lays out his super-wow plans. Terroist is really a 13 year old attention starved kid from Brazil. Big catch. Yep, go CIA. I see many false alarms with this. I don't think Osama Bin Laden will be chatting it up on DALnet about his future plans, so like the correct expresion may be: Hey CIA, put down the confiscated dope your smokin, get in your little cars, and go do some real police work, your not going to find anything on IRC besides script kiddies. [/rant]
    --Kristoph